What do you guys think about Diesel conversions?

• I'm just curious as to what you guys may or may not know about diesel conversions for Jeeps. The idea keeps drawing me in more and more for a project in the future and was just wondering what you guys felt about diesel Jeeps. I see that the 4bt cummins turbo diesel is popular for most conversions.

How difficult do you guys think it would be to do one of these conversions if it was a frame restoration?

This is usually where you put a signature, instead I'll let everyone know I am looking for a CJ8 Scrambler.

• Thought about it at one time but with the price of Diesel fuel don't think I'd do it. A buddy has a CJ8 with a Nissan Diesel in it and he loves it. Took him about a year to complete it(worked on it in his spare time)turned out very clean looks factory.

• I have a om617 merc diesel in my jeep love it took me about 50 hours over 3 weeks and coast about 4 grand less than a 4bt swap and with 4.10s and 35s while bing alittle larg for that motor and gear ratio I was getting about 24mpg highway im now swapping in 5.38s and 37s so I will report I. A few weeks how it is doing, now if you have about 5+ grand yoh can do a 4bt wich is an awesome power house but heavy abuut 900lbs but mkes great power

• Diesel swaps to me make perfect sense for an older rig... you'll usually get double the fuel mileage which really outweighs the fuel price difference and makes ton of power in the lower RPMs where you want it for offroading. Downside is the initial cost (motor, trans, brackets, gauges, driveshafts, etc) but if you're doing a project where you need a new motor anyhow it helps.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I have been watching videos on Youtube of diesel Jeeps from YJ's to TJ's. I must say, they make for a badass conversion man. All that torque into a Jeep makes it haul some ass. If I were to do a diesel conversion it would be an entire restore with a CJ8. Just my preference though.

This is usually where you put a signature, instead I'll let everyone know I am looking for a CJ8 Scrambler.

• I've been reading on a few build forums and common problems that they would come across, and after reading them they don't seem like such a hassle once you get over the bumps in the process. They said the most common issue in the end of the build is not having any gauges that work properly but all you'd have to do is swap them out with aftermarket ones.

• If I was going to do one, I'd seriously look at the Mercedes swap. Buy an entire donor vehichle, use the engine and then part out the rest to recoup the initial purchase price.

• I'm assuming you would use the wiring system, computer and all as well? All the core components and the part off the rest of it?

• There is another thread on this subject not very old. I've looked into the swap too but found it hard to find a 4BT in a truck. I wasnt into buying a new one for 4k then have to replace the tranny aswell. So I ended up getting a rebuilt AMC 304. I really want a diesel because I like the sound, ride, power and smell. However, many of the professional sites and forums will tell you that its still cheaper, easier, and economically sound to do a V8 swap vs diesel. Its not just swapping out motors, trannys, and motor mounts. You need to know about diesels like the intake and exhaust temps, injection pumps, and such. If you break down on he road or trail you are more likely to have to be towed. Where if you have a V8 a fellow jeeper may have what you need in thier rig or shed down the road. They say it takes decades to get your money back in a diesel swap too. But man I sure as hell want to do it too...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• If you think adding 220 more lbs over the front axle then a 4BT is right for you.... And dont forget the extra 110 lbs for the trans. :doh:

I still don't get why people want to put 4bts in their TJs. I guess if you are going 1tons and a nice suspension then maybe :shrug: , and they still vibrate like crazy.

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Who would do a diesel swap?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I would!!

• Your fan switch is in the wrong place. :innocent:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It's just not very common that you see a diesel Jeep is what I'm getting at it and that it would be pretty neat to have one, even if it was just as a project vehicle. Maybe make it your trail Jeep or something, I certainly wouldn't use a diesel as a DD in this economy. I just watched your video Gavan and my god that is an awesome Jeep. That thing sounds awesome too. Did you do all that work yourself?

• I can barely imagine myself paying 3.50 for a gallon of gas right, let alone 4.00 for diesel, and I know absolutely squat about diesels so working on them wouldn't be too easy. Hell if someone handed me one though, you bet your butt I would drive that thing haha. My little 4 cylinder gets about the same MPG right now to and from Dover, its awful :/...

• Why not DD one I love my diesel swap I gained 10mpgs I was at 12mpg ith the 4.0 and 24mpg with the om617 with 4.10s and 35s

Have you checked your milage using a GPS or are you just going off of what the odometer is reading? Reason I ask is your milage seems a little on the high side I know my boss only gets about mid 20's in his Benz wagon around town and mid 30's on a long highway trip.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• I checked with gps as my spedo gear is still the stock one, and that is driving like a grandma with that wheel and gear combo 5th is at a low rpm if you ise it, and going to a manual from the auto benz helps aswell as the gears as they have around a 2.72 rear gwar and have to work hard to get out of there own way, there is a wite up k red in my reasearxh that a guy in a stock xj woth one was getting 30mpgs

• It's just not very common that you see a diesel Jeep is what I'm getting at it and that it would be pretty neat to have one, even if it was just as a project vehicle. Maybe make it your trail Jeep or something, I certainly wouldn't use a diesel as a DD in this economy. I just watched your video Gavan and my god that is an awesome Jeep. That thing sounds awesome too. Did you do all that work yourself?

I made that Jeep from a big pile of parts. I kind of like it myself ;D

I get mid-high teens if there is a lot of towing and hauling and city driving, to mid-low 20s if it is mostly empty and highway driving. For a big heavy pig on 1 tons and heavy 37s, that is pretty phenomenal. I would expect single digits with a health gas motor.

You do a diesel Jeep because you want one. There is no way you can ever justify the fuel savings, there is a lot of work involved, and it takes some dedication and tinkering long after the swap to get everything "right", especially on smaller diesels that there is not as big of a knowledge base on. There is a fair amount of information about the Cummins 4BT, and I am still chasing down all the problems associated with it.

That being said it is still pretty awesome.

A lot of people say diesels have no place in Jeeps, especially 4BTs because they are "big, heavy, loud and vibrate a lot", but they usually do not own one or have been around one that has not been well thought out. Mine is not quiet, but there is no soundproofing, and it is absolutely tolerable - the wind and tire noise over 70 is usually more then the motor, and it runs very smooth on hydro mounts.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!