delaware emmissions???/

• i am moving to newark soon... and am wondering how hard the emmissions in delaware are. (not yet inspected in PA) my 87 YJ (blue) has a weber carb...think i finally got it right from the previous owner... but it is a carbed 4.2 with 115,000 miles. runs great..but burns some oil...no smoke though. any tips/suggestions??

• My YJ went through inspection with the wrong, leaking manifold on it and some smoke pouring out the back. Enough that I could smell the exhaust in the cab. For older vehicles they test the emmissions straight from the tail pipe since there is not a computer to attach to under the dash. I think this makes passing a little easier.

Here's my tips, crazy as they sound: Go on a windy day. This makes the smoke less noticeable. Secondly, place a big sticker on the windshield. Stickers on the windshield drives them crazy for some reason. They'll fail you for the sticker but pay less attention to the smoke. Go home, remove the sticker, go back in a week and get your tag. That's a true story. I am sure others have had simular experiences.

• Get this:

So I'm trying to get my Jeep all Delawared out and the guy in the inspection lane gives my Jeep crap because my Pennsylvania inspection stickers are "obstructing my view." I can understand the windshield banners and other stickers...but my PA INSPECTION STICKERS??? Give me a break...

• I have a 95 YJ and got it inspected last Friday. It was a breeze. I went to the newer inspection lanes off of RT. 13 by 495. The windy day won't help you out here. you pull into the garage and they shut the door behind you.

• Quote from "Icky"

Get this:

So I'm trying to get my Jeep all Delawared out and the guy in the inspection lane gives my Jeep crap because my Pennsylvania inspection stickers are "obstructing my view." I can understand the windshield banners and other stickers...but my PA INSPECTION STICKERS??? Give me a break...

that cracks me up. i got pulled over in my truck for having a non transparent decal on the windsheild. i pointed out that it wasnt in the direct line of vision (wipers didnt even touch it) and the inspection stickers blocked my view more than the other decal...still got fined (yes this was in PA...and i dont know about you but i also have the emmissions sticker...

• A windy day wont help much at all because the sensor is actually inserted into your tail pipe. You will have a better chance passing at the old dmv because the equiment is not as new and accurate. However if you have a problem passing emissions go to pepboys. They sell this stuff called garateed to pass emissions. It really works, I can vouch for that cause Ive had my fair share of high horse power muscle cars which arent so emissions friendly. Its only like 15$ if i remeber correctly. :peace:

02 Tj hp Dana 30 4.88 ox locker, Dana 44 4.88 ox locker 3inch Teraflex coils and adjustable lower control arms 33 TSL Thornbirds and 4 chipmunks workin hard under the hood.
    Less brains MORE THROTTLE

• My CJ passed emisions (but failed for everything else) and none of the vacuum lines were hooked up. You should be fine.

• Another option I've heard is take it down south. The farther south you go the easier it is to get things inspected. That's what I've been told at least.

I know if your trying to get a DE drivers license it is definatlly true. :spinrhead:

• You have to be inspected in the county you live. They stopped the migration south for inspections years ago.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had a similar visit. Before I bought the 90YJ, I ran it through in Dover to "check" and see if it passed. CO was high and failed. Got some gas additive at Pepboys and drove it like mad (highway at highway speed) for a few days to clean it out. Worked fine and passed.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Quote from "GOTMUDD02"

A windy day wont help much at all because the sensor is actually inserted into your tail pipe. You will have a better chance passing at the old dmv because the equiment is not as new and accurate. However if you have a problem passing emissions go to pepboys. They sell this stuff called garateed to pass emissions. It really works, I can vouch for that cause Ive had my fair share of high horse power muscle cars which arent so emissions friendly. Its only like 15$ if i remeber correctly. :peace:

FYI...that additive is the same as a couple of bottles of "Dry Gas" only 10x more expensive. :suspicious: I used to throw two bottles in my CJ prior to having the emissions tested and didn't have an issue with it in there (it had failed previously). There are a couple of writeups on the web on how it works if anyone's curious...

--Ian

• Do the drygas thing.....Make sure all your lights are working....I go nailed for a side marker light(Had to wait in line again) and definately go to the old one.....Ive gotten some real pieces of crap through emissions there.....If you do fail the first time they have a reinspection shack that usually has some pretty easy going people working in it.....When i took my Cutlass through they pulled the probes out of the pipes a few feet and told me to hit the gas....They helped me cheat.....I also find that dropping the timing to where it just barley runs works well also....

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I am registered in New Castle County but got mine inspected in Sussex becasue this is where I live now. I have never changed anything over and they did not care where it was registered :rollsmile: Maybe it was becasue I was very nice to the men and smiled really big :grin:

93 YJ 5spd w/ 4.10s, 3.5&WCF_AMPERSAND" black diamond suspension lift, 33&WCF_AMPERSAND" BFG all-terrains, crager 397s, alpine mp3 head unit and amp, 4.0TB, K&amp;N air intake<br />2008 Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7 V8 (no mods yet, but prob soon)

• Just put about 1/2-3/4 of a bottle of denatured alcohol in the tank. It can be found in any paint department for around $3-4. I have used it in cars that had no chance of passing on their own and they passed with no problem

• as of last friday. lane one at the wilm. inspection lane the idle device did not work. my wagonner which is a miserable tester passed with lower emmsions then a new car.

Michael Slotwinski (SLINKY)
    1993 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
    http://www.firststatecorvairclub.com
    1999 Powerwheels Babrie Jeep Currently driven by my daughter
    Hey you were at the WalMart Speed Bump Climb in 1999? you were the one with the winch, right?

• Quote from "pavement_hater"

Just put about 1/2-3/4 of a bottle of denatured alcohol in the tank. It can be found in any paint department for around $3-4. I have used it in cars that had no chance of passing on their own and they passed with no problem

try the standard 50 cent bottle from Wally World with less than 1/4 tank of gas.... dump it in about mile from DMV and it helps loser emmissions

87_AMC_XJ

• Follow the advise given here for emissions. As for lights, as was mentioned by someone else, dont forget your rear side markers if you've done LED tail lights. I got pop'd for them.

As far as lift or tires past the flares and that kind of thing... I've never been measured for height that I can recall. but the height limit is 30" to bottom of frame/bumper. They do check body lift. Cant have more than 3" between the body and frame. And I've never had anyone even mention anything about the tires out past the flares. They even passed me with beadlocks.

Thank god you dont live in MD! They are starting to crack down. by law in MD you arent allowd over 26" from ground to bottom of frame/bumper. And you arent alowd to run larger than stock sized tires.

• PA finally adopted a new tire law. Your only allowed to upsize or downsize your tires one size. Anything other than that is an inspection violation. Thus I have a complete set of stock tires and rims to put on to get it through inspection.
    They make it harder every year to have a nice vehicle.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Quote from "Rob Smith"

Follow the advise given here for emissions. As for lights, as was mentioned by someone else, dont forget your rear side markers if you've done LED tail lights. I got pop'd for them.

As far as lift or tires past the flares and that kind of thing... I've never been measured for height that I can recall. but the height limit is 30" to bottom of frame/bumper. They do check body lift. Cant have more than 3" between the body and frame. And I've never had anyone even mention anything about the tires out past the flares. They even passed me with beadlocks.

Thank god you dont live in MD! They are starting to crack down. by law in MD you arent allowd over 26" from ground to bottom of frame/bumper. And you arent alowd to run larger than stock sized tires.

Maryland also says you arent allowed to make any modifications to your suspention either. In other words lift kits arent legal. But us MD guys have never listened. Its for reasons like this that in a couple yrs Im getting out of this state

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!