ax5 leaks.. suggestions?

• my trans (ax5) is leaking. just noticed it yesterday and don't have time to mess with it until this weekend. gonna drop the trans saturday. Judging by where the leak is coming from I am assuming its the input shaft seal or the bearing retainer (i think thats the proper term) gasket. I plan to replace both either way while i have it out to avoid dropping it again in the future. I was wondering does anyone have any advice on anything else I should do to the trans (any other seals or anything that are known to cause problems) while I have it out to try and avoid having to pull it again to fix something else.

• I thought my tranny was leaking also... and it was the rear main seal also.... relatively easy to change don't even have to pull tranny... thanx to jeep using a 2 gasket seal ugh...

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• The fluid that is leaking is clean like its fresh from the bottle and I put the trans in (with fresh gear oil) only a month ago. My engine oil is about 1600 miles old. I pulled the dipstick just to be sure and I'm positive it's not engine oil

• How's the fluid in the clutch master cylinder? I know the internal slave cylinder on my 4.0L
    Leaked out of the bell housing when it went bad.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Pulled plate off bell housing everything dry. Everywhere is dry. Decided not to drop trans and drive the thing. Gonna find a 4x4 4.3l s10 and get the drivetrain ready for the jeep. Gonna take my time on it and replace all seals and gaskets, pull the heads off make sure all is well in there and plan to put it in after summer. Unless something goes wrong on the jeep in the meantime I'll speed the process up

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!