Need advice

• Anyone around, or traveling thru dover, feel like swinging by for 5 minutes and lend a fellow jeeper an opinion? I have found some rust issues on the underside of the tj I bought a few months ago. before I start cutting and welding on it, what else may be of concern and haunt me down the road with this thing AFTER I fix what I can see?
    Known issues:
    4 of the 6 body mounts under tthe doors are shot. Rusted through and mushroomed.
    Frame is looking pretty flaky, who knows if I can knock it off and undercoat it... how much time will that buy me?
    I'm sure the p.o. was a surf fisherman. Guess he didn't do any preventative stuff to protect it...
    Any thoughts? Shoot me a p.m. if u want to swing over and look, I really like the jeep but don't want to invest t he time and money if I'm going to lose it later anyhow...
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• for the frame, you can fix it. use POR15 with a PORs top coat, you can pretty much stop the rust on the outside. Where is the rust on the body mounts ? On the frame supports or the body? They sell replacement mounts or you can fab up your own.

Great stuff...

http://www.por15.com/

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Underside of the body itself... Upon further inspection, it may be a lost cause. The suspension arms are pretty corroded, most of the steel lines underneath are in bad shape. Clips and such on the lines also. All the bolts to stuff are shot, bottom of the axles, shock and spring mounts, linkage for the transfer case... In my opinion, I could save money by upgrading in this case. I may of answered my own question! Lol
    A good heads up to all of our beach jeepers tho. Do some preventing, cleaning and undercoating. And rinse well when u leave, if u don't already... Great time to talk the wife Ito a newer jeep!

• I'm definitely going to get some of that stuff for the new one tho! Looks like there's quite a few uses... Wonder how well the bed lining holds up? May be good for a tub liner also.

• for the frame, you can fix it. use POR15 with a PORs top coat, you can pretty much stop the rust on the outside.

While I'm a huge advocate of POR15, I'd hardly say it can fix the rust. More along the lines of it can stop the rust from continuing to rot out the frame. But the damage is already done - you either have to cut out and repair the rusted sections or replace the frame entirely.

• Ok... So lets say, completely theoretically here, that I was going to venture forward with the one I have.
    I was under the impression that once it started, it was going to continue unless its removed and then prevented. If I knock down as much as I can, then spray with the por-15 or equivalent rubberized spray, the rust will cease to spread? What about the inside of the frame? I can probably salvage 90% of this thing, cut and re weld New body mounts and replace a few lines and linkages and roll on with the one I have if that's the case. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

• I was under the impression that once it started, it was going to continue unless its removed and then prevented. If I knock down as much as I can, then spray with the por-15 or equivalent rubberized spray, the rust will cease to spread?

Steve's correct about POR15 - it will stop rust dead in its tracks. It chemically reacts with the rust to effectually stop the rust from being rust. Like you said, you need to smack all the loose scale off with a pick hammer, scrape anything left off with an aggressive wire brush, then prep it for POR15. Their product is Metal-Ready and it is an etching solution that allows the POR15 to adhere well. You normally brush on the POR15 as it is self leveling and will smooth to a nice smooth coating that will dry into a shiny shell. You should consider applying a UV protectant over the cured POR15 as it breaks down quickly if exposed to UV rays. Even on your frame you'll see the effects of the sun after a year or two.

I bought a bag of chip brushes from Lowes and then used them to apply both the Metal-Ready and the POR15. Dirt cheap and just toss them when finished. Also use rubber gloves as the etching solution is caustic and the POR15 doesn't come off skin very well. I'm out of POR15, but have plenty of the Metal-Ready if you'd like to borrow the jug for your project.

• Check the frame over real good most of the time they rust out from the inside out. :bang:

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• And there isn't much I can do about that is there? Man, this is really a tough call... Someone just tell me to keep it, or trash it! Lol

• Where in Dover? I also have a 97 TJ and am also in Dover and you can compare if you want. I had to have a section of my frame replaced due to rust from inside. As a matter of fact the lower rear control arm snapped off. But fixed now. PM me or email me at
    coronerrpm@hotmail.com.
    Good luck

• Hi I just finished my YJ frame restoration, here is a link for some parts

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/j…cessories-wrangler-tj.htm

You can also try this product after the repair of your frame for the inside

http://www.eastwood.com/intern…ating-w-spray-nozzle.html

And like everyone else you can use POR 15 for the outside of your frame. My frame was pretty bad it all depends on how much work or money you want to put into it. I have used all of these products on my YJ and Im very happy with the end result. I can get you the name and number of the DEJA member who worked on mine if you want too.

• For some reason the 97s frames always are trashed. Not sure if they left out a process from the factory or what but as soon as I hear tj rusted frame it's almost always 97. Save yourself a huge headache in the long run and get a new frame. That one if not crazy bad will still rust out from outside in with what ever u put on it. I've seen control arm mount just rip right off the frame due to them rusting and skid plates fall off lol. New frame if ur asking opinions. And do not replace with another 1997 frame lol.

• Well, it seems we r in the market for a new jeep... I appreciate the info. We have been shopping anything from 98 to 2010! Lol. Had a date setup with one, at the bank to sign papers. Had another one actually AT the bank, and found out it wasn't what it was supposed to be. Its definately been a fun ride. I just hope she figures out what we want soon... lmao

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Sorry that I'm kinda late to the party here....but if you want to see what it has taken to repair the Michigan rust on my 98 TJ frame you can stop by my place here in Dover. Just keep in mind that anything you do is only a repair and not a fix. Eventually the frame will have to be replaced with a new unit, cutting and welding is only postponing the enevitable. But I did get all my frame repairs done this past weekend, now I need to fix the body mounts on the tub. But like I said you can come by for a look if you like. The tub is off the frame so you can get a good close up look at the problem areas and my repairs.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!