Front end clicking noise mystery

• Yesterday driving home from the beach with the doors off on the '98 TJ, I noticed a metallic clicking noise coming from the front underside. It's like a valve tapping noise, but only I really don't think that's what it is. As best I could tell, it seemed to be coming from the wheel area. Today, Michael rode with me and said it seemed to be coming from the passenger front wheel area. So, now I'm concluding it's actually coming from somewhere in the middle. Clues:
    - Noise occurs whether in gear or in neutral.
    - Noise seems to be related to vehicle speed....faster speed, faster clicking. Not related to engine speed.
    - It's not 100 percent constant; it doesn't seem to happen when going even slightly uphill.
    My first thought was that my gear oil level is low in the front differential, but there isn't any apparent leak. FWIW, I do have one of those lunchbox lockers in the front, but for several years now have not had this clicking noise. I'd appreciate your thoughts on what it might be and how I might investigate. Also, if anyone in the Dover area would be willing to ride along and listen to the noise to help me pin it down, please let me know and I'll come to you. (I'm not sure if driving it now is unsafe or just a bad idea.) Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Sounds like front axle u-joints.

I might embarrass myself with this question, but.... will hitting them with a grease gun do any good at this point? Or are they shot once they start clicking? And wouldn't it be a weird coincidence for both sides to start making noise at the same time?

• Way too late. But it'll quiet them until you can replace them. Put the axle on jack stands and spin the tires front and back while watching and listening for play in the joints, if they're clicking there is enough play for you to see. Check out the driveshaft joints while you're down there.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Way too late. But it'll quiet them until you can replace them. Put the axle on jack stands and spin the tires front and back while watching and listening for play in the joints, if they're clicking there is enough play for you to see. Check out the driveshaft joints while you're down there.

Put it in 4wd first, that will help keep the axle from rotating so you can see the play in the ujoints better /

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Thanks guys....will get right on that. Keith, yes since I've had the locker I have always heard clicking when I make turns. It seems to be the same clicking I'm hearing now. I'll go break out the jack stands dammit.

• Thanks guys....will get right on that. Keith, yes since I've had the locker I have always heard clicking when I make turns. It seems to be the same clicking I'm hearing now. I'll go break out the jack stands dammit.

If you go to one of their installation pages, there's a test you can try without pulling the cover.

• If you go to one of their installation pages, there's a test you can try without pulling the cover.

Am leaning toward your theory. Put the TJ on jack stands and in neutral. Michael slowly spun the tires as I crawled around underneath. I'm fairly sure the sound comes from the diff. I could even slightly feel the click when I had my hand on it. This is probably not related to the clicking and it may not be important, but I can move both tires about 1.5 to 2 inches before the drive shaft moves. Seems like a lot of play, but I'm hoping that's normal! I will go to the Richmond locker website and poke around.

• Am leaning toward your theory. Put the TJ on jack stands and in neutral. Michael slowly spun the tires as I crawled around underneath. I'm fairly sure the sound comes from the diff. I could even slightly feel the click when I had my hand on it. This is probably not related to the clicking and it may not be important, but I can move both tires about 1.5 to 2 inches before the drive shaft moves. Seems like a lot of play, but I'm hoping that's normal! I will go to the Richmond locker website and poke around.

Since you already have it up in the air, why not pull the cover and see what it looks like inside? If all looks fine, then maybe start surfing online. Otherwise you may have something visibly wrong that you can see right away. :shrug:

• Am leaning toward your theory. Put the TJ on jack stands and in neutral. Michael slowly spun the tires as I crawled around underneath. I'm fairly sure the sound comes from the diff. I could even slightly feel the click when I had my hand on it. This is probably not related to the clicking and it may not be important, but I can move both tires about 1.5 to 2 inches before the drive shaft moves. Seems like a lot of play, but I'm hoping that's normal! I will go to the Richmond locker website and poke around.

There is normally a lot of free play with a lunchbox type locker.

• Chris, I hate to go through the whole gear oil/friction additive replacement process unless it's necessary. But I agree it may come to that. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for at this point.
    Keith, naturally the PowerTrax website is "under repair" now, so their videos are not accessible. I did grab their tech support phone number and will give them a call.
    Question: if I pull the diff cover plug and find that the oil level is a little low, can I add just gear oil or must I do a special proportion of oil and friction modifier? And would a few ounces of oil make a difference anyway?

• Chris, I hate to go through the whole gear oil/friction additive replacement process unless it's necessary.

If it clicks when you're turning, then you don't need the friction modifier. The friction modifier is for clutch-based traction devices. Most OEM systems are designed that way while most aftermarket lunchbox lockers are gears and cogs.

Question: if I pull the diff cover plug and find that the oil level is a little low, can I add just gear oil or must I do a special proportion of oil and friction modifier? And would a few ounces of oil make a difference anyway?

If a little low, then just top it off. If a lot low, then I'd still pull the cover. At best you'll only be out a little RTV, gear oil, and peace of mind.

• If it clicks when you're turning, then you don't need the friction modifier. The friction modifier is for clutch-based traction devices. Most OEM systems are designed that way while most aftermarket lunchbox lockers are gears and cogs.

If a little low, then just top it off. If a lot low, then I'd still pull the cover. At best you'll only be out a little RTV, gear oil, and peace of mind.

Well, I just checked and the oil level seems just fine. I guess at this point I'll call the tech support folks tomorrow and just not drive it until then. Maybe later I'll see if someone's posted a related YouTube video....you never know.

• Any chance that one of the tires is low on air, or has lower tread than the other? Lockers should be quiet driving in a straight line, you should only hear them if one tire is spinning faster than the other (unless something is broken).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• You said you were on the way back from the beach... Did you drive in the sand? I'm asking because i had the same clicking sound coming from the same location last year when i went surf fishing... Ended up being sand. I got stuck up to the frame... :bang:

The clicking stopped after driving it for a day or two.

On the plus side i also found out i was in need of new upper and lower ball joints.

• Keith, it passed the Section 5 test; the clicking occurred with both wheels when following the directions. I'm not so sure what that tells me. There is very little troubleshooting information with the manual. Thanks for the reference. I have the hard copy manual, but the online one was a few pages longer for some reason.

Jerry, the tires are 33" and are a matched set with pretty uniform wear patterns.

• Sounds like a wheel bearing to me

Well I'll keep an open mind about that. With my ear and my hand right up against the diff while my son turned the wheels, it sure seemed to emanate from the diff. Is it possible that the sound and vibration can travel through the axle and/or shaft and trick me into thinking it's the diff when it's really the wheel?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!