CJ-7 ring and pinion ratio

• I swapped out the differentials in my '81 CJ-7. They were original and my Jeep has the 258 motor. The differentials I put in were from a CJ-7 with a 304. What is the possibility they are the same ratio? I ask this because I'm trying to finish this project and after getting the drivetrain all lubed up and put together I drove it around the block only to find the rear wheels wobbling badly. So I figure possibly bent axles I'm thinking maybe I'll just swap the old rear differential back in. If its possible I'll just jack the Jeep up and count the rotations to get the ratio. Thanks.

Also I only swapped out the differentials because the parts Jeep had 4 inch lift springs so it was easiest to just roll the whole assembly under and bolt it up.

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• Yea the term is interchangeable. When I call for parts and ask for brakes for my rear axle they always say "you mean rear diff?" so I wanted to differentiate it from the actual 2 piece axle shafts that I mentioned could be bent. And let everyone know I mean I swapped out the whole rear differential housing not just the axle shafts.

• Yea the term is interchangeable. When I call for parts and ask for brakes for my rear axle they always say "you mean rear diff?" so I wanted to differentiate it from the actual 2 piece axle shafts that I mentioned could be bent. And let everyone know I mean I swapped out the whole rear differential housing not just the axle shafts.

I would disagree.

Most will associate differential with the carrier and R&P.

But, potato, potatoe.

• Its honestly not that crucial to the topic is it? I mean for sake of argument fine you are correct BUT I was simply trying to separate the terms because of the 2 piece AXLE shafts. I mean do you want to name all the parts of the rear differential housing that I didn't list as well?

• Its honestly not that crucial to the topic is it? I mean for sake of argument fine you are correct BUT I was simply trying to separate the terms because of the 2 piece AXLE shafts. I mean do you want to name all the parts of the rear differential housing that I didn't list as well?

No I get it now that you explained your terminology.

It's all good. :peace:

• I swapped out the differentials in my '81 CJ-7. They were original and my Jeep has the 258 motor. The differentials I put in were from a CJ-7 with a 304. What is the possibility they are the same ratio? I ask this because I'm trying to finish this project and after getting the drivetrain all lubed up and put together I drove it around the block only to find the rear wheels wobbling badly. So I figure possibly bent axles I'm thinking maybe I'll just swap the old rear differential back in. If its possible I'll just jack the Jeep up and count the rotations to get the ratio. Thanks.

Also I only swapped out the differentials because the parts Jeep had 4 inch lift springs so it was easiest to just roll the whole assembly under and bolt it up.

If it has the 2 piece axle shafts (tapered axles) you could have a spun or loose hub. Either way I'd pull the axle and take a look to see if there was any sign of it rubbing on the housing.

Chances of the two differentials having the same ratio is a crap shoot. Could be anything. Only way to tell for sure is to count teeth or get the stamping off the ring gear that will tell you the teeth count.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• They are indeed narrow track axles. I have 2 sets of complete axles being one from the V8 Jeep and the other from mine. I'm gonna get into it this week and try and figure it out.

• I threw a narrow track AMC20 with 1 piece axles out a few years ago. Nobody wanted it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I threw a narrow track AMC20 with 1 piece axles out a few years ago. Nobody wanted it.

Haha that's terrible. What are people upgrading their CJ axles to? I had Wagoneer axles a few years ago and sold them.

• Andy, I'm not sure about narrow tracks but I have wide tracks and had a truss built and welded the tubes. I plan to install one piece axles and from what I've read and have been told is pretty solid after doing this...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• No I took the axles from a CJ that had a 304. Mine has a 258. I'm really leaning toward just getting the one piece axles and being done with it.

• Haha that's terrible. What are people upgrading their CJ axles to? I had Wagoneer axles a few years ago and sold them.

CJ people upgrade to Wagoneer axles. ha ha

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That seems to be the problem. I think I'll stick to stock stuff then.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!