Issue with brakes

• I'm having an issue with my '10 JK where the rear driver brake is rubbing all the time. I was thinking it might just be that I need to replace my brakes but I wanted to see if there was anything else I should look for. Could my brake piston be bad if the brakes work as normal other than them rubbing? I did take the wheel off to confirm it was the breke pad and not the shield rubbing something. Any help is appreciated.

• If it's farely audible (sounds like metal rubbing together) then your pads or shoes (depending on whether you have disc or drum) are shot. If it's not the pad then you'll feel it constantly pull to the one side and you will have excess heat from that wheel.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Check the pass side too. If it looks newer then u might have a caliper on the driver that's bad. If the pad is low on the pass side then u prolly just needed new pads on the rear. Sometimes one side wears faster.

• I only had time last night to do the driver's side brakes. It was worn down to the metal on the brake pad on the back side. I will be changing the other side tomorrow when I have time. If it is the piston that is bad is it just replacing the entire caliper unit or is there something else?

• I had this happen on my tj in the front. Came on quick and got to the point were it was pulling bad by the end of the week. I replaced my caliper and it was all set. Not sure if JK calipers are alot more but TJ calipers were only $20 at az. If your rubbing metal check the rotor to. If its the same as a tj you just swap the caliper and bleed the brakes. Id ask a JK owner to confirm though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!