D44 axle bearing removal???

• Does anyone know how to remove an axle bearing from the axle shaft of a D44 rear axle? I am looking at this thing and thinking that there has got to be an easier way. I have a press available.

I also am looking for someone who may be able to assist me in putting together the outers of a D44 front axle. I will be going from the inner C out. I have all the parts here, however I have never done this before and I believe I may be missing a couple of things. A website that shows you how to do this would be great if anyone knows of a good one. :wavey:

• maybe this will help with the front

as far as the rear goes if it has a metal ring around it drill a hole thru it and hit it with a cold chisil and it will come off then the bearing has to be pressed off and a new one put on.

• The easiest way is to simply press it off with a bearing remover. The other way is to cut the bearing race open with a dremel, take it off, then cut the press sleeve that is on the axle carefully with the dremel, when you are most of teh way through use a hammer and a cold chisel and hit the cut you made, if you cut far enough through it the sleeve will come up with a satisfying pop.

• I have a pickle fork and the special socket needed to put the upper ball joint ring seat on (if it is the same as a Dana 30). I also have a book that describes the installation. The FSM is at my brothers but I can get it if needed.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!