Surf rods

• I am looking to get serious in the surf fishing thing, I have been surf fishing for years, but I am gonna make a effort to get really good at it. I am looking for opinions on a certain rod. I have to basic glass rods, I have 3 St. Croix fly rods and love them. Looking at getting the Mojo surf road by them. Also I need opinions on reels, and mono or braided line. I am going to be entering a tournament in April and would like to have this by then but if not I will use my current setups. :fishing:

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Well depends on what you are wanting to do. Your can get a decent setup for 150$. Dont be afraid to ask me.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Like you're going to have time to fish with the baby on the way :)
    Who am I kidding, Sammi was on the beach quite a bit that early and there's pics of her with Lucy to prove it!

I've been looking at the Mojo Surf Rods - I like I can get a Purple one!

• I wouldnt put to much weight on the mojo it breaks easily. Personally melissa runs a penn fierce and a 10 ft penn fisher cost about 150 with line. And she has done well with it. Always go for a rod rated for 4-6 ozs. Thats all youll be tossing unless your running plugs or lures. Then go with a star rod or shimano. Youll still be in the 150$ range but you can ask hookedonthebay it seems like the biggest fish hit the smallest set ups in the surf haha... we watched melissas son fight something for atleast a hour before the warden told him to cut it off and it was the smalles set up in the whole arsenal.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• You say the monos break easily cause they are not composite? Like you step on them or when a fish hits or when you throw them.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Mojos are a graphite rod also. Just I have personally broke one in a cast. Ive seen my buddy snap one pulling a shark out of the surf also. I think tica makes a great rod also. Ive broke 3 of those too. Got to the point to were bill at bill sports shop gave me my money back and told me I need to have custom ones made. Also were you thinking of going conventional or spinning because that can change how your rod choices go. Conventional is a more durable reel and requires a very high skill level compared to a spinning. Theres alot to thing about when it comes to this. Feel free to call me anytime you want if you want information. 3022763596.

• Go to Dick's sporting goods. They have a Penn Hurricane reel set up on a Penn 10 Ft rod, separately $215.00 combo price $150.00. Great starters rod. Don't drop top dollar until you decide if you are going to stick with the sport long term... I have three of the Penn rods, never broke one...

• The tournament is the one through del surfish, winner gets a free registration to War on the Shore. The real reason I want a new rod is my current setup works great for bait, but not so much when it comes to plugs and spoons. I will probably stay spinning. I have conventional for the boat and one for bass fishing personally just don't like have the feel when fighting a fish.

• Plugging I would look for a 7-9 foot rod with a fast to medium action, rated at 2-4 Oz. Conventional probably better than spinning, better control all around. Penn or Shimano would be great, to save a couple of dollars look at Okuma, or Bass Pro shops self labeled reels.

• Dunno I used the bass pros freshwater reels and not overly impressed with them. The bearings are poop. Coventional reels are good if your throwing spoons or something that isnt as wind resistant while your starting they are not a forgiving reel at all and you will be picking birds nest out all day. Fyi and if your investing because of this tourney.... its not the gear its the angler. Hookedonthebay and I have been side by side and he has been more productive due to the fact he found the sweet spot. Its all about reading rips and waves.

Edited once, last by 1991yj ().

• I have used both the bass pro OM2000 and OM4000 on charter boats out of Cabo for schoolie yellowfin tuna and they were awesome, the 2000 is a great 12 lb. test and tossing light lures wasn't a problem. I liked the 4000 better when fighting bigger tuna and roosterfish felt smoother as it does have more ball bearings than the lighter model. When I had my boat I bought two and they proved to be great Chesapeake bay striper reels.
    On a different note, we'll be hitting the surf the end of march :fishing: can't wait !

Don't follow me, you won't make it....

Edited once, last by hookedonthebay ().

• I can throw a conventional reel just prefer not to.

• Im no expert on surf fishing but I do quite a bit of fresh water fishing. I own 2 mojo bass glass rods (same basic style blanks as mojo surf) and love them. The only thing that bothers me is that the blanks for the Mojos are made in mexico. That being said, all the other St. Croix other than the Triumph series are US made blanks. I would not hesitate to recomend a St. Croix rod to anyone. I own 3 triumphs, 2 mojos, 1 avid, 2 premiers and a rage. I have only broken only one, which was likely my fault. All i had to do was pay the shipping cost both ways and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. Even if you dont turn in the warranty card they will still replace the rod for up to 5 years based on the date it was made.
    As for Reels, its hard to beat Shimano. You will notice that Shimano may not have as many bearings but their bearing quality and smoothness of operation is hands down better than other brands with twice as many, lesser quality bearings. Id say a St. Croix premier and a shimano Saros 4000 series would be an awsome setup for surf/boat etc....

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• The tournament is the one through del surfish, winner gets a free registration to War on the Shore. The real reason I want a new rod is my current setup works great for bait, but not so much when it comes to plugs and spoons. I will probably stay spinning. I have conventional for the boat and one for bass fishing personally just don't like have the feel when fighting a fish.

Yeah heard about that tournament and the other one. Not interested in supporting that guy at all. Thought you were talking about old inlets spring classic. Im trying to figure out how that guy from dsf is going to get all the money for this considering hes burnt just about every bridge with localcand regional vendors. Just about 98% of the local long liners,rock jockeys and surf anglers wanna see him hanging high from the oak tree lol. Im banned from his sight for voicing my opinion on how much of a fraud he is. Just saying be careful associating with him or anything hes affiliated with theres alot of behind the scenes lawyer stuff going on with him.

• Penn is my choice. You can do the battle or fierce and both work well with braid. Or go the SS models. I use 50 pound braid and like how.it works - some dont. I have conventional reels also but never use them. They also work great but not my thing. You really do not need a top of the line rod reel unless you fish a lot. I fish 50 plus days a summer and do flounder and stripers. But it's just my opinion and we all know they are like a×× holes and everyone has one-lol. If u need a rod just pm me and I can lend you one if need be.

• I agree. No need for primo gear to catch fish on the surf. Its all about luck, good observation and time spent on the beach in my opinion. Mojo is a good rod. I run one one a conventional set up. I also use an old Mitchell surf reel with manual bail pick up. Never had a problem with it.

• Yeah I have a few I wouldnt mind seeing going to someone who wants to learn and use it. Oh and melissa used to fish with a 30 dollar fishing rod and outfish hookedonthebay and me all the time. Its all about patience and knowing where to cast. Surf fishing isnt just throw it out and pray. If you jnow what to look for you will be very productive.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!