And so it begins....for me also(w/Pics!) UPDATE 6/13

• Quote from "sgtpeppr"

Please Explain. Do you mean the ones that hold the two halfs together? I just put those right back in the holes after I took it off. Otherwise I tried to mark and picture everything I could. So I hope I got everything....If not its too late now.

yeah, thats what i meant. mine were all loose and it took a few tires to get them in the right spots.

if you got pics of the motor before you took it apart i would like to get a copy for some of the final details

• I'd be careful with a 4.3L vortec. Those motors are known for blowing head gaskets and burning seals. Stripping it down was probably a good idea before installation. I made that mistake with a few of my buddy's while we did motor swaps. One was a 4.3L and the other was a Chevy LT1 motor. Good luck. :up:

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• Quote from "AndyZJ"

I'd be careful with a 4.3L vortec. Those motors are known for blowing head gaskets and burning seals. Stripping it down was probably a good idea before installation. I made that mistake with a few of my buddy's while we did motor swaps. One was a 4.3L and the other was a Chevy LT1 motor. Good luck. :up:

i have never heard of that problem. out of all the buggys running 4.3's last couple years i havent heard of any major problems.

• Another thing to watch if they aren't stamped is the connecting rod caps. The caps match a specific connecting rod, and they have to be orianted the correct way, you can't flip them.

Trust me we put a tractor together with them all miss-matched, and basicly wasted a summer trying to find the problem.

On my engine they had a number stamped into the connecting rod and the cap, so I couldn't screw it up.

• Quote from "bmf24"

i have never heard of that problem. out of all the buggys running 4.3's last couple years i havent heard of any major problems.

The buggies probably won't experience that problem because I doubt they run for long stretches of time at higher rpms like a road vehicle.

The only issue I have heard with the 4.3L had something to do with the fuel injection system below the plenum. They would tend to leak after a while. I had this happen with our mini-van. It was something like $600 to have fixed (probably because it being a van). That was actually the ONLY issue we ever had. Good vehicle.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have also heard of this issue...but I found that for $60 you can buy a fuel pressure regulator that is supposed to fix the problem.

• Got some more pictures here
    cleaned the plenum

put together the lockers

started taking the NV4500 apart

some more new pieces

took the old drivetrain out

painted the axles

ripped the dash apart

She looks so happy, she knows whats coming

As always go here for more pictures

• i got my parts from AA today. i should have the t-case put back together some time next week.

what are you doing for motor mounts?

• While you have the heads off, Replace the valve seals......My dad has had 2 4.3 chevys in the pas and both have needed new valve seals after about 60,000 miles. I also sold several sets of them when i worked in auto parts sales.....

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• i did the same thing to my firewall, painted it black.
    are you keeping the oil pan? i am thinking of changing mine out to a shollow design.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!