am i hurting my jeep?

• I don't know what happened but i just went to move my YJ and it will not go into 2wd. what i mean by this is i cannot physically move the lever into 2wd. i got up under the jeep and tried to move the arm on the tcase and still could not get it into 2wd. If i use 4lo as a starting point I move to N and its in N as it should be, then move to 4HI and its in 4HI as it should be, then it just feels like it won't go any further. like its supposed to end there.
    when i parked it, i guess i left it in 4hi which i normally don't do. I will put the jeep on the lift at work and try to evaluate the situation better when i get a chance (unless someone has experienced this and wants to tell me what to look for)

My question is this... I have a cable disconnect on my front axle instead of vacuum, so i can actually go into 2wd even if tcase is in 4lo.
    What I wanna know is, if my transfer case is in 4HI but i have the front axle disconnected via the cable, am I hurting anything driving around on dry pavement, and at highway speeds like that

• you will be fine ...basically 3 will drive but that will eliminate the axle bind you would get in true 4wd....just be careful around turns. wouldnt do it for long..but the drive to work shouldnt hurt

• Once you get it rolling turn the steering wheel back and forth to load and unload the front wheels. You may be able to shift out of 4wd then. I used to have to do that with my old Dana 20 transfer case.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!