Tire brand

• I need some advice, I called a bunch of tire centers in northern Delaware searching for the best price on (4) 285/75/r16 Goodyear Duratracs and found a deal for $240 a piece installed. Most were in the $270 range. My last call was to an unnamed tire place that recommended me going with the Toyo Open Country ATII. He said they are a much better tire for the road and has had issues with balancing the Goodyear Duratracs. I like the look slight better of the Duratracs. I want some experienced drivers of these tires input. Or if there is another brand you would recommend. My last jeep I had BFG MT and AT.

• Did you try Delaware Tire? I think they're mainly a BFG dealer, but usually have great prices. I haven't heard any issues with the Duratrac, nothing but good about them... they were my number one tire choice before i decided to stay with a narrow tire.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I use discount tire if Im buying new. They have good prices and free shipping. You would still have to use a shop to mount and balance though. Dont use 3-J's. They are convinced 35's are monster truck tires and forget to mention the up charge for oversized tires untill after they are on. I wouldent get the Toyo's for a tire that size. Im hearing good things about them in a larger size but I had the Open Country's in a 285/75/16 a few years ago and they wore very fast! I hear all good stuff about the duratracs. Im running the Falken Rocky Mountain At's on the street right now and they are good so far, really cheap too.

• TOYO AT2 is better on the road than the duratrac, Goodyear has way more traction off road. Between the two I would defiantly go goodyear, But I would choose the General Grabber AT2 over both of those for a jeep

• I personally thought the Duratracs were wearing out quickly on my TJ and were noisy... I went with the General Grabber AT2s on the JK and I couldn't be happier with them right now, They are Quiet, handle well, and went through the snow excellent this past year

• I bought my tires from tirebuyer.com in February and had them shipped to my local Mr Tire. Free shipping, they showed up in 3 days via FedEx and I got an additional $70 off the order because I found a coupon code on retailmenot.com. I paid the best price I could find and Mr Tire only charged $16.50 per tire for a set of 5 to install even with them being "oversized tires" because that was the price tirebuyer.com had with them. I saved a bunch of money.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.  These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives.  All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.  Cannot the kingdom of salvation, take me home.

• Today is decision day and I cant make up my mind. Please give opinions on these 3 one last time.
    285/75/16 4 tires installed, getting the 5th later.
    $896 Goodyear Duratrac
    $796 General Grabber AT2
    $906 BFG All Terrain

Duratracs look the nicest to me and are best off road. But 99% or my driving is highway so i'm leaning away from duratrac. Don't see much difference between BFG and General.
    I promise this will be the last time I ask. My last jeep had BFG MT and AT.

• BFG ATs are a time proven tire. I've never heard a bad thing about them on or off the road.

I'll probably go with them the next time around.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have been searching for the same size/type of tires as well to put on an SUV. I am settled on the General Grabber AT2 because they are the only ones that are not load range E. And, they seem to be the best for my application too. Mostly highway driving, but definitely needs to hold up to trail duties.

Not sure that makes a difference to you, but typically load range E tires are for full size pickups that haul weight and/or do lots of heavy towing. I have never put a set of load range E tires on a lighter vehicle, but it seems that they would ride harsher with the heavier sidewalls.

Also FYI... The General Grabbers come in a 295 75 16 size. Approx. 33.6" tall, so slightly bigger... :mrgreen:

• I have been searching for the same size/type of tires as well to put on an SUV. I am settled on the General Grabber AT2 because they are the only ones that are not load range E. And, they seem to be the best for my application too. Mostly highway driving, but definitely needs to hold up to trail duties.

Not sure that makes a difference to you, but typically load range E tires are for full size pickups that haul weight and/or do lots of heavy towing. I have never put a set of load range E tires on a lighter vehicle, but it seems that they would ride harsher with the heavier sidewalls.

Also FYI... The General Grabbers come in a 295 75 16 size. Approx. 33.6" tall, so slightly bigger... :mrgreen:

Will that size fit stock with no lift... that's my next purchase but not now. im putting aftermarket pro comps 7069 on.. 4" back spacing

• No idea, I don't have a JKU. They will fit on my "darkside" SUV though... Just wasn't sure if you were aware of this size. Also, have you seen the "Fierce" brand of tires? I think I saw that they are made by Goodyear, but not 100% on that. Looks very similar to the Duratrac, with slight differences, and I think they come in lighter load ranges.

Also FYI, (and I am sorry if I am muddying the waters a bit for you, its just ironic that I have recently been looking at the same size/range of tire) a 305 70 16 is approx. 33" tall, but around an inch wider.

There are many folks out there putting all sizes of tires on their factory JKU's. I would dig around a bit more on a few of the national Jeep sites and see what works.

• IMHO that is the best choice. I've had BFG ATs and they are ok but I think the Duratracs are better.

I agree, had the BFG's and switched to Duratracs. Quieter and smoother ride on paved roads and I don't air down when driving on the beach.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!