Engine problems

• Hi all I have a few problems with my jeep that seem to have all appeared at once and just looking for some second opinions from fellow jeep owner who my have experience with them.

1. First off when I start the jeep there is a somewhat loud ticking noise that does go away slightly as i drive it, I was told it could be that the exhaust manifold could have a crack in it.

2. The second problem also happens when I start it up the oil pressure gage doesn't go up fast after I have run it for a while and the oil is warm. And then yesterday it didn't move at all until I reved the engine in a attempt to get it to move. Not to sure if its my oil pump going bad or if its something else

Any help would be great so I can get started on getting these problems fixed

• I think the problems are related. What type of oil are you putting in it? Are you low in oil? How many miles on the Jeep?

Excessive miles could mean worn crank bearings which will result in low oil pressure. Low oil volume would also result in lower pressure. If you do have excessive miles and wear sometimes you can get away with using a thicker oil to get oil pressure up but this is a band-aid fix to the wear problem.

It could also be a bad oil pressure sending unit.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Could be valves ticking waiting on oil to get to them. Sludge in oil pick up screen.
    Old trick is a long screw driver to the motor and other side to your ear to see what is making the noise. Yes it works-lol

• I was going to suggest a solvent engine flush, and I found this, although in general they are not benificial, in some cases are good. Either way, a great dissertation on engine sludge.

https://answers.yahoo.com/ques…qid=20081020203559AANoHef

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• A friend of mine warned me against solvent flushes a long time ago. His theory was that the solvent also de-lubricated everything. Made sense.

When I first bought my Jeep years ago (1993) I started driving it regularly after it had sat for a number of years. I remember that oil filters feeling extra heavy for the first few oil changes. Can't image what I was washing out of that motor.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Or it could just be that the exhaust manifold is cracked and like most older 4.0l motors they dont show a lot of oil pressure. They really dont need that much. At warm idle i show 2-4 lbs and goes up to 30. Thats pretty normal. Bottom line is u will never diagnose it over the web. See a mechanic or a friend with some experience that can help u.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!