Oh my god, not another Death Wobble thread! NO! NO! NOOO!!!

• No worries, I didn't forget, just haven't wheeled with you in forever and had no idea what your running anymore. That steering, even with its slight looseness inherent with an inverted T design, is strong and not easy to bend. I can see that steering having enough play (especially if the locknuts are loose) to allow some death wobble. I don't think I ever had that problem with it either when I was running the D30 in my XJ. It sounds like you looked it over already and decided it was OK. Wow, those bushings do look like a great idea.

• That steering, even with its slight looseness inherent with an inverted T design, is strong and not easy to bend.

This is me we're talking about. You've wheeled with me, so you know - of course I bent it. :laughing:

Straightened it out with a 10-ton press, and soon thereafter bent it again. :doh:

Straightened it back out and reinforced it by welding angle stock along its length. Bent it again anyway.

Straightened it out again prior to its retirement from wheeling. It's been fine since.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• It sounds like you looked it over already and decided it was OK.

I did. Hopefully I didn't miss something. I had it up on the lift at my friend's garage and he and his employee examined it carefully, too. They both are disturbed by the roll in the tie-rod, but they also believe it all looks fine.

Wow, those bushings do look like a great idea.

I anxiously await their arrival. Damn, I hope they do it.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Did the new bushings fix the problem?

The new bushings have not yet arrived. I'm expecting them by the end of the week. I only reposted the pic because it's funny and pertinent, sadly not as a celebration of victory.

~ JD

• Aww darn. I was hoping that was celebratory. I'm experiencing the wobbley woo right now on my 07 jku. I just fixed a sticking caliper and before I replaced it it was a mild wobble that I started noticing. I realized my brake was sticking yesterday. Once I got it home, it was so hot that you could hear the metal cooling down... so today I changed it, bleed the brakes. Rotor seemed fine. But on my way back from getting my core charge back. The violence was so bad I almost called the cops! I guess I was hoping to read your final I FIXED IT!

• Aww darn. I was hoping that was celebratory. I'm experiencing the wobbley woo right now on my 07 jku. I just fixed a sticking caliper and before I replaced it it was a mild wobble that I started noticing. I realized my brake was sticking yesterday. Once I got it home, it was so hot that you could hear the metal cooling down... so today I changed it, bleed the brakes. Rotor seemed fine. But on my way back from getting my core charge back. The violence was so bad I almost called the cops! I guess I was hoping to read your final I FIXED IT!

You could have worpped your rotor and have rotor death wobble I have had it befor and changed a bunch of things and the last was the worpped roter

• I thought so too but I ended up having my friend rock the hell out of my jeep and I found my track bar relocation bracket to be a little loose on the bottom mounting points. Giving the track bar lateral play. It fixed it. At least that's what think since it feels much better...

• New calipers.

fail.

I give up.

;(

~ JD

• pm sent to astape

~ JD

• I am reconsidering my entire XJ situation. My frustration level is through the roof.

~ JD

• I've lost track of your build... do you have a steering box brace? My old XJ is running smooth now with its current owner. Needed a new TRE for the drag link at the steering box, a new washer welded onto the lower trackbar mount and I noticed a bit of movement with the steering box itself, so added a steering box brace that really stiffened the steering. Checked for any cracks in the frame? XJs are known for a crack near the steering box if it's not reinforced (I dunno if your bumper has the longer mounts to reinforce the box or not).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I've lost track of your build... do you have a steering box brace? My old XJ is running smooth now with its current owner. Needed a new TRE for the drag link at the steering box, a new washer welded onto the lower trackbar mount and I noticed a bit of movement with the steering box itself, so added a steering box brace that really stiffened the steering. Checked for any cracks in the frame? XJs are known for a crack near the steering box if it's not reinforced (I dunno if your bumper has the longer mounts to reinforce the box or not).

Track bar - I had problems before (back when I used to wheel it). Back then, I actually had a hairline crack in the 'frame', which was reinforced with a plate welded on the frame. This time we further reinforced the area, and to further eliminate the possiblity of flex in that area, we braced it with a bar running from the left to right rails.

When we reinforced the frame, we welded the bracket.

~ JD

• I didnt have time to read through the thread, but ill post it for anyone in the future or you if you havent found the cause.

I do a lot of repairs for these, the lower trac bar mount hole eggs out slightly and causes the trac bar to wander. Easiest thing to do is fine a washer that fits the lower bolt well and weld it on the bracket.

• I do a lot of repairs for these, the lower trac bar mount hole eggs out slightly and causes the trac bar to wander. Easiest thing to do is fine a washer that fits the lower bolt well and weld it on the bracket.

The hole looks fine. We even rattle-canned the mounts gray to see if the fresh paint would scuff to indicate any movement and didn't see any.

~ JD

• SOMEONE PLEASE LOOK AT THIS THING!!!

It's been disabled for over a year.

Stapen? Dugan? Someone???

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!