Transmission Swap

• Looking for some advise, assistance or help

I need to swap the failing transmission out of my 04 Liberty before it implodes and leaves me stranded on the road, trail or beach. Does anyone know someone or a shop that can swap or assist in swapping out the transmission.

Thanks in advance

Woody

• Pulling and installing the auto trans out of my YJ wasn't too terribly difficult. It was just notating how/where everything was disassembled and then ensuring it all went back together the same way. The 1 or 2 wire hookups only went on one way and the rest was just bolting/torquing to spec. I can't imagine that there's too much more to it even on a newer vehicle with the electronics. A few sensor hookups, shift linkages and mounting bolts should be all that's involved. Depending on the time and place, I'd be willing to give ya a hand with it.

I haven't gotten to any of the salvage yards yet but I haven't forgotten to keep an eye out for ya.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Thanks, generally I would attempt this at home but time is a factor. Located a transmission in Gtown at Donovan's Salvage and planning to head down there Wednesday to get it. Have to work this weekend and need it by the following weekend for OCJW. Having never pulled a transmission before I have a feeling it would take me longer then I have.

• Thanks, generally I would attempt this at home but time is a factor. Located a transmission in Gtown at Donovan's Salvage and planning to head down there Wednesday to get it. Have to work this weekend and need it by the following weekend for OCJW. Having never pulled a transmission before I have a feeling it would take me longer then I have.

Its pretty simple. Are you getting torque converter with the used one or going to reuse your converter?
    Remove driveshafts ( I always use a lil propane torch on the strap bolts)
    Unplug wiring harness
    Remove T-case (It makes things less heavy and awkward pulling the trans)
    Remove starter
    ..Assuming automatic..
    Remove flywheel cover and torque converter bolts
    Remove all of the bell housing bolts ( the top ones are the pain and I'm not sure if the libby uses the E14 bolts up top)
    Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle and the trans should slide out

You def want to blow out the trans cooler with some brake clean before you reinstall, or you will be looking for another soon enough. Same goes for the torque converter, flush it out with some fresh fluid too.

• You def want to blow out the trans cooler with some brake clean before you reinstall, or you will be looking for another soon enough. Same goes for the torque converter, flush it out with some fresh fluid too.

This.

I made that mistake as a dumb teenager and ended up with a 'new' trans that was once again toasted in a couple hundred miles. Won't make that mistake again. :doh:

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!