98 TJ Fuel Pump

• Any recommendations on manufacturer? I need to replace my fuel pump and I am finding mixed reviews for the different companies.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• I just was told that my pump was bad in my yj. I dropped the gas tank and went to remove any excess gas (as the Haines manual recommended) and lo and behold......there was no gas in it!!! A local garage want charged me $50 to diagnose my fuel pump was bad, but there was no fuel to pump!!!! So yes check the fuel pressure. I have a brand new gauge if you need one.

• I just was told that my pump was bad in my yj. I dropped the gas tank and went to remove any excess gas (as the Haines manual recommended) and lo and behold......there was no gas in it!!! A local garage want charged me $50 to diagnose my fuel pump was bad, but there was no fuel to pump!!!! So yes check the fuel pressure. I have a brand new gauge if you need one.

When my pump went bad the sensor was giving me bad readings. I was tracking my mileage for awhile so I knew when to fill up. As for brands, I got an airtex for pretty cheap. No issues yet.

• You think voltage could cause it even though it would start?

If its not constant 12v , yes .
    Of course that would only apply if a harness was grounding out intermittently or the pcm was haing issues .
    Check the harness with a decent volt meter . Only take a few mins to rule that out .

• Something to keep in mind, which you might arleady know, if you are checking the voltage without the jeep running is the PCM only supplys voltate for a few seconds (3 maybe) when you turn the key to acc or whatever point is right before starting.

• So my issue ended up being that my primary batter not having enough juice is why the fuel pump was not working properly. Already had another battery swapped it out and the TJ is back up and running again.
    Glad I didn't have to drop the gas tank and mess with that fuel pump

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!