Jeep not going into gear

• Good evening. Son took my 04 tj 4.0 5 speed out to Bowers beach today, limped it home cause he was having trouble shifting. It now makes a horrible whirring sound when it's in gear and wants to move while the clutch is depressed. Shut it off and I can shift through all the gears without depressing the clutch pedal (is that normal) ,also goes into gear when it's off, when I start the jeep and start to release the pedal it starts screaming at me again. Gonna look at it during the day light but any insight would be greatly appreciated. :wavey:
    TIA
    Ron.

People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf.<br />- George Orwell.<br /><br />&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&#917;

• Either the clutch master of slave failed. They are sold seperately but recommend you replace both with a sealed unit. They run about 175 and take about an hour to install.

Edit: initial thougt was because it moves with clutch in, but i have seen the pressure plate fail and not allow the clutch to dissengage correctly. Sounds like it may be internal and time for a new clutch.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!