DE inspection of modified jeeps

• Someone suggested I hold on to the stock wheels and tires after the lift in case I need them for inspection. Have any of you had trouble passing inspection after a lift? Is 3 inch lift with 35 inch tires too much?

• You should not need to. Your bumper height would be under the legal max. If your wheels stick out too far, you might have issues, or get extended flares.

http://www.delawareja.com/foru…topic=879.msg6708#msg6708

� 4318. Bumper, Frame Rail, and Body Heights.

(a) No passenger vehicle or station wagon that is required to be registered under Chapter 21 of this title shall be registered or operated upon any highway of the State if the bumper height of such vehicle exceeds 22 inches from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, or if the vehicle frame rail is higher than the attached bumper, or if the maximum distance between the vehicle body and vehicle frame rail exceeds 3 inches.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Do you need to have your doors on too pass inspection?

I believe that answer is different between CJ and newer Jeeps. CJ's didn't come with hard doors from the factory. Vinyl doors were only meant for protection from the weather, not collision.

I've gotten through without the doors before. Now it's typically cooler outside when I go through so I've had my vinyl door on anyway.

Hell, I've had my windshield fold down and slam on my hood once during the braking test because I didn't have the hold downs fastened. That was funny.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If you could run through without doors on that would be great. No need for tint waivers or removal of tint every two years!

I went through doorless last time (in Dover)... they seemed really confused, but I passed. I've had my half upper sliders tinted for 7 years and have always left them home, no questions asked. Probably depends on their mood that day :rolleyes:

• id me more concerned with how far the tires stick OUT. i had to keep stock wheels/tires for my TJ in PA because my tires stuck out 2 inches past the flares.

• I bought a pair of KC headlight covers for inspection. I vaguely recall hearing a story of someone using Wawa bags so I guess whatever they are covered with doesn't have to be completely opaque.
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/97010_0401.htm

Agree with Dave that the mostly likely thing to fail for is tires sticking out too far. Other than time, it doesn't cost anything to fail inspection. Every year I just go and see what they fail me for, if they fail for tires they'll probably let a few other small things go

• Well, I took my 2010 jk for its first inspection and it failed due to tinted windows. I thought it would pass since I bought it from the dealer that way but the tint is 16 percent and it has to be above 70 to pass. I doubt it will scrape off easy in 14 degree temperature. I'm thinking of bringing the doors inside and giving them a hot shower. Will that mess up anything?

• Well, I took my 2010 jk for its first inspection and it failed due to tinted windows. I thought it would pass since I bought it from the dealer that way but the tint is 16 percent and it has to be above 70 to pass. I doubt it will scrape off easy in 14 degree temperature. I'm thinking of bringing the doors inside and giving them a hot shower. Will that mess up anything?

Borrow somebody's doors? :shrug:

I would've said just take the doors off for the reinspection but now that they've noted it on your inspection they will be looking for it.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Andrew, text me if you want to do this today. I have my brother's JKU and I'm 2 mins from the DMV on Rt. 13. If you want to meet at the newer DMV I'm 10 mins from there. I get off work at 3pm and we can switch doors in the parking lot.

302-750-zero three three eight

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Andrew, text me if you want to do this today. I have my brother's JKU and I'm 2 mins from the DMV on Rt. 13. If you want to meet at the newer DMV I'm 10 mins from there. I get off work at 3pm and we can switch doors in the parking lot.

302-750-zero three three eight

Thanks for the offer but I have to be at work at 3pm. If it wasn't so cold I would have gone doorless. I'll figure out what to do this weekend.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!