camping trailer build...

• I'd agree...for the minimal cost of a receiver 'blank' I'm not seeing the benefit. Am I missing something or are you not just using it for a receiver on the rear of the trailer?

Another thing to keep in mind is the corners. Most box tubing has more of a radius and I seem to remember running into an issue in the past where one of the solid style inserts wouldn't fit into a homemade receiver and had to have the corners ground.

--Ian

Also, some of the aluminum racks use a square cornered tube that has the same issue.

• Thanks for the input guys :) I was leaning away from receiver-spec tube for cost, I was seeing $10-20/ft costs online which seems a bit excessive compared to regular tube. I suppose that I could use just a short section welded to a 2x3 box tongue, but I was considering doing a long section to extending the tongue (with a long male section drilled every 6") to let me shorten and length the overall length if needed. Maybe not required, just seemed like a cool idea.

Ok, consider this layout I made quickly in Paint on my tablet. Nothing is to scale, just for a rough layout. Red is receiver tube, blue is 2x3 .120 wall, but what are your thoughts for the black sections? I'm planning to have the tongue sit under the frame for simplicity, but can recess the rear receiver. I think all of the corners will be mitered so I don't have to weld on plugs to cap the tube ends.

frame will be 42" width, 72" long for the box, not sure on tongue length. I'm guessing around 4' minimum closer to 5' to be able to jackknife with a tongue box. Not sure...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Why do you have three PIECES of box for the tongue??

Are you make the tongue extendable. It you are seamless ID as you know is very pricey.

IF YOU ARENT..... Why not just have two 2x3 (which is way overkill as it is) go from the coupler to the first cross member and lose the whole middle piece. This would also allow for a sharper jackknife angle.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

Edited once, last by ruquik ().

• Sorry, I can't figure out the first question.

Was leaning toward making it extendable (mentioned that a few posts up). Seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure how it'll work since the Max-Coupler comes with a 2" male section and I don't think it can be easily lengthened. I know that receiver tubing can be expensive, I complained about that a few posts ago, but guys pointed out that some hitch accessories don't fit well in 2.5" 1/4wall tube (but, what about 3/16" wall?) Even without running it as extendable, I don't like the 50* angle hitches for strength... they'd need a bit of reinforcement. Plus, the main center tube with 2 braces provides a nice base for a tongue rack. Going back to the first crossmember provides a lot more (possibly unneeded) strength and I don't the tongue to be the weak link on this. Well, I don't want any weak links...

I ordered the Timbren kit a little bit ago, found a 5% coupon code for etrailer.com so I was able to get the kit for $25 lower than their MAP! Not much off, but better than nothing.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Well, I was hoping on input from the DEJA brains if the black sections needed to be box. Figured with the thick 2.5" tube that the braces could be 2" angle? Regardless, the strength increases a fair bit when braced. The tongue will see the most stress so wanted to give it a little extra help.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I think all of the corners will be mitered so I don't have to weld on plugs to cap the tube ends.

If you have a miter saw that would be a good way to go. If not, box the ends, leaving material on the outer wall that would overlay the open end on the adjacent piece. That way you don't have to cut out plugs.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Hmm nice idea! A lot easier, I think. Trying to decide now if I use this as an excuse to buy a welder or owe some more favors... Was thinking stick for simplicity. Gotta be 110v, though, don't have 220v in my garage.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Hmm nice idea! A lot easier, I think. Trying to decide now if I use this as an excuse to buy a welder or owe some more favors... Was thinking stick for simplicity. Gotta be 110v, though, don't have 220v in my garage.

If you know how to stick weld, it might be simpler. ;D

Is there a breaker panel in the garage?

• If you have a miter saw that would be a good way to go. If not, box the ends, leaving material on the outer wall that would overlay the open end on the adjacent piece. That way you don't have to cut out plugs.

Or use C channel like a lot of trailers and not have places for water to get trapped like a TJ frame.

• Remember , once you bolt on the deck, it will add tons of strength. My home made 4x8 trailer is done with 3" C-channel and uses smaller I beam cross members and its way over built.. If you want to see it. let me know. Its a small tank.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I don't remember seeing which body you ended up going with but was looking at the Dinoot site and looking at their 'heavy-duty' frames:

Short trailer:

Extended w/ receiver:

The pic also helps put the scale in perspective. It's worth noting that it looks like the tongue diagonals are angle on both, not tube.

--Ian

• I think all of the corners will be mitered so I don't have to weld on plugs to cap the tube ends.

I would just spend the extra 20 minutes to cover the 4 exposed end with a piece of flat stock.

Getting the 45° cuts just right is tough without a really good saw, and welding the outer corners requires some grinding and beveling to get a decent looking and strong weld.

• Dont forget to design in weight distribution.. Per the internet.. "Most experts agree that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 and 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW) "

I had a hitch receiver on the back of my trailer for a bike rack, but fully loaded, it was enough to significantly to lighten the tongue weight so I almost lost the whole thing on RT1. Tail wagging got so extreme we almost wrecked..

Food for thought. The longer the tongue, the further back the rear axle will need to be to add tongue weight as it can become more difficult to move the load forward.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• If you ever think you'll be in a situation where you'll use that rear receiver for recovery I'd err on the overbuilt side and add some triagulation:

Wouldn't you flip those yellow bars around. In my head it seems like if you didnt you are still only "pulling" from the middle of the two x-members and adding some additional tension at the blue (or maybe its white, lol) trailer corner. Or maybe i'm over thinking it. I'm thinking of it as another trailer tongue mirrored of the axle centerline.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Maybe the axle position should be adjustable like on OTR trailers... ;D

That is the ideal way... So how would you build that into a small trailer, I would assume a sliding sub frame in a channel with a series of holes to secure the subframe where you want it.

• Wouldn't you flip those yellow bars around. In my head it seems like if you didnt you are still only "pulling" from the middle of the two x-members and adding some additional tension at the blue (or maybe its white, lol) trailer corner. Or maybe i'm over thinking it. I'm thinking of it as another trailer tongue mirrored of the axle centerline.

Either way would improve things but personally I'd put them as drawn. I was thinking of it more from the fact that a hard yank rearward could conceivably bow that rear crossmember (esp if .125 wall)...the triangulation as drawn would be in compression and help distribute that force to the corner. Aren't you the CAD guy? Come on, I want to see a stress analysis from solidworks to see which would be better. :innocent:

--Ian

• Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!