JKU Hard Top Questions

• Need a little help from the DEJA Jeep gurus. I found a hard top for my JKU but I don't have a trailer or vehicle to pick it up with in Doylestown, PA. So I was thinking about driving up in my JKU, removing the soft top and mounting the hard top on the Jeep. I know I'll have to remove the soft top, hardware and door surrounds. Are there any other pitfalls with this plan that you can think of? Also, I seem to recall reading that you need to reprogram the vehicle once the top is on. Is this reprogramming needed for the wiper only? Thanks!

• taking the soft top off won't be hard...if it's warmer. Be careful unzipping the windows and folding them...they will snap.

might want consider renting a Uhaul... so you aren't rushing things in the cold at your place of pickup.

and yes...i believe the programming is to accomplish the wiper/washer configuration...

• Dunno about the JK, but the TJ hardtop will fit over a folded down soft top, but just barely.

You will likely have to get it folded pretty tight which could be very risky in freezing temps.

I would blast the heat just before you try to drop it to try to soften it up.

• Dunno about the JK, but the TJ hardtop will fit over a folded down soft top, but just barely.

You will likely have to get it folded pretty tight which could be very risky in freezing temps.

I would blast the heat just before you try to drop it to try to soften it up.

Thanks Keith. I was actually planning on taking it totally off. Figure that way I won't damage either top.

• You can, but it requires sliding/tilting the passenger seat up to the dash and having the rear seat removed. Been there/done that at Elff's house when he sold me a hardtop during the winter.

**wait**
    Just saw you meant a JK. I need to clarify that I was referring to a TJ. In our JKU we needed to lift up the hardtop about 6" above the tub rails in order to remove the factory-stowed softtop. Can't see it being any different if folded by anyone else.

• Does your JK have the nut plates that clip into the box? I don't think the soft-top Jeeps have those. Make sure you get them from the seller. I didn't know that there was anything to program, if your Jeep originally came with a hard top, you'll have the wiring harness and the windshield wiper stalk will have the extra controller for the rear wiper. When you plug in the the rear wiper/defrost harness, the computer will recognize it. If you don't have the harness, that's a different story.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I had the same issue with my YJ. I drove to the hard top, then removed the soft top and installed the hard top. What you will likely need is....
    1) At least one more pair of hands

2) A portable impact driver with the proper adapter and bits. (This makes the job a snap IMO)

1) At least one more pair of hands

Ditto - It's not just the weight, it's awkward.

Unaware of any programming issues. Mine came with a hardtop and I just pull it off and put it back on without any need to program anything. Maybe it is different if it didn't come with a hardtop.

Put one of those manual hoists on your list to install in your garage...makes taking the top off much easier and gives you a good place to stow it in summer.

Harken Hoister

• You can, but it requires sliding/tilting the passenger seat up to the dash and having the rear seat removed. Been there/done that at Elff's house when he sold me a hardtop during the winter.

**wait**
    Just saw you meant a JK. I need to clarify that I was referring to a TJ. In our JKU we needed to lift up the hardtop about 6" above the tub rails in order to remove the factory-stowed softtop. Can't see it being any different if folded by anyone else.

Thanks Quadna!

• Does your JK have the nut plates that clip into the box? I don't think the soft-top Jeeps have those. Make sure you get them from the seller. I didn't know that there was anything to program, if your Jeep originally came with a hard top, you'll have the wiring harness and the windshield wiper stalk will have the extra controller for the rear wiper. When you plug in the the rear wiper/defrost harness, the computer will recognize it. If you don't have the harness, that's a different story.

Do you mean the bolt rod attached to the discs that go in the soundbar rail holding the front of the hardtop?

• Thanks Charlie!

• Do you mean the bolt rod attached to the discs that go in the soundbar rail holding the front of the hardtop?

no, this dude... I think you'll need 3 per side. they go on the underside of the body rails where the top sits. you'll already have the bolt holes there.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• no, this dude... I think you'll need 3 per side. they go on the underside of the body rails where the top sits. you'll already have the bolt holes there.

Ahh...nope...didn't have those which is why I had to use a trailer. That was a really fun drive but I got it home. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!