Getting Trail Ready

• I'm working through some basic upgrades and maintenance on my TJ. And I'm hoping to get it out for a real trail ride in April. This will be one of the first times the Jeep (or the driver for that matter) have been off road. So I have a couple of questions....and if this is just another round of shots at the same equine carcass I apologize.

What types of things to you carry in you rig on the trails? Basic tools and recovery stuff are a given. What else is in the back of your jeep? Spare parts?

Are there any other mods or work I should consider before hitting the trails? Current rude is my DD, 97 TJ 4 banger. Spacer lift on 33s, discos in the front and rails on the side. What else would you recommend?

With 180,000 plus on a lot of original parts, is there anything to look for or at? Rather look at it now then have to get towed home.

• Make sure your front axle u-joints are in good condition.

If they fail, you will likely break an axle.

Other than that just check all your fluids, etc.

I wouldn't worry about carrying a bunch of parts on the first ride.

You will be with a great group of people that will make sure you get off the trail and home if something should happen.

Having a CB, while not a necessity is very nice to have on the trail or if you caravan up with others.

• And make sure you have a spare tire that matches the rest in size.

Might seem like a no brainier, but I see lots of Wranglers with either no spare or running 33-35" tires with a 225 hanging on the tailgate.

• The best thing you can do is crawl under there and check everything out for missing or loose bolts,broken parts, check all your u-joints for wear, make sure there are no leaks, check all fluid levels. ( Do all the above when you get back too )
    As for what you should bring....( Besides what was already mentioned ) Some tools ( Don't go over board, keep it basic ) Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, fuses.
    I wouldn't worry to much about spare parts for now...After a few trips you will figure out your weak parts.....Then the fun ( And $ ) begins modifying all the the weak links not to break.

• Ok. How do you check the u joints?

Find some flat ground, chock the wheels, take the tension off the driveline by putting the trans in neutral, take a long screwdriver or pry bar and insert it though the drive shaft yoke right around the u-joint and try to twist the driveshaft both directions and up and down, look for any movement from the joints cross and caps ( Keep in mind the differential yoke will turn slightly...About an 1/8th of a turn is normal ) Any movement....New joint time.
    Also check the splines on the shaft for looseness while twisting the shaft.
    If there's grease fitting on the joint... look to see if the caps are leaking grease....If yes, replace the joint.
    If you have a grease fitting on the joint, pump some grease in till grease just barely starts to come out from all the cup seals....If it looks rusty in color....Replace the joint.
    The joints on the front axle are alittle bit harder to get to, turning the wheels will help.

• Just a quick question on the spare - I have 33's and keep a 31" spare on my tailgate. My logic is that if I ever get in trouble on the trail, I can throw a 31 on for a spare and limp off the trail. I'm locked in the rear, so if I need to replace a rear tire, I'll put the spare on the front, and move a front tire to the rear to keep both my rears the same size, but if my front is open, is a 2" diameter difference going to hurt me to limp off the trail?

• I'm in the same spot but I'm planning on getting a 33 for a spare. Just have to figure out how to carry it until I get a better tire carrier.

So far.....

Disconnects going on the weekend. Along with new bump stop cups.

I have some driveline vibrations so I'm thinking of replacing those u joints. Will take a look at the axle u joints when I do the discos.

Going to check fluids and change as needed.

What's the stance on cb's? Do most club folks have them for trail rides?

• I had my 33 on there for three years, had a 35 on there for a couple of months before I bought a swing away carrier.
    I still have it out on the garage, if you want it I'll let it go for $20. We'll be at the meeting Saturday evening

Don't follow me, you won't make it....

Edited once, last by sandtostand (formerly hookedonthebay) ().

• Ok. So next up are the axle u joints. This looks to be one of the more complicated tasks I've undertaken. I've found a good writeup on stu-offroad. But will be doing more research this week. Then rent a u joint press from advance auto and have at it. Any tips or tricks? Is it a good time to change diff fluid as well?

• There's plenty of you tubes out there on how to do u joints without a press. But it might be a good investment to buy a press. It's on my list.

I deff second a press. I managed to crack a $400 Wilton bullet vice on Cody's Rubicon using it to press out stock u-joint. Very expensive mistake.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• First time doing this I'm definitely using a press. Advance auto will loan you one. If I like it I'll keep it but not sure it will be worth $115 to me.

I live in Wilmington, near Prices Corner. I have a ball joint press, works for u-joints also. If you'd like to borrow.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!