Bestop NX top advice

• So I just removed my hardtop and installed a Bestop NX soft top. The issue that I'm having is that the back windows do not seem to fit properly, and when I drive at any speed over 25 mph the drivers side flaps and lets in air and water. The drivers side window seems to be about half an inch too short length wise and I cannot stretch it any more. Even the passenger side which does fit better does not stay closed at speeds above about 55 mph, which is unacceptable when I have my son in the back. I have contacted Bestop but have not heard back yet. Any advice or tips/tricks to get these things to stay closed would be greatly appreciated.

• The toughest two hours I've ever experience working on a Jeep was installing an NX top on a JKU. I finally gave up when it didn't fit right and switched back to the Bestop factory replacement.

This was when they first came out so it was either cut short or I messed something up. :shrug:

P.S. I moved this topic from the gatherings forum to Jeep talk as it's more fitting.

• Which top is it? The Supertop NX or the Trektop NX?

I've installed the Trektop NX on my 2dr and two 4drs. It goes fairly well if you go in the correct order, otherwise it's nearly impossible. Put the roof ("deck" in Bestop terms) on first, but don't latch the windshield... You can flip the sunroof portion back to give slack when needed. Next is start the windows. Get the sides zipped 4-6 inches and make sure they're securely in the door rails (you shouldn't see the stitched seam with the door closed) and 8-12 inches on the body rail. Repeat on both sides. Then start the back window. Get the zippers started 6-8" on both sides. Now finish the side windows before finishing the back window. Fold the sunroof back if you need a little extra slack. Finally, slowly close the sunroof (it'll be tight!) and latch it, then check to see if anything came loose.

For a new top, it's best to do this in direct sun so the top will be more flexible. Remember to check the door to window section and cheek to see if the stitched seam is visible with the door closed. If it is, it could rip open at speed.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Install order it critical on many tops, On my old Kayline, you have to follow an exact order or it will never go up

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I have that top on my rig, it's been perfect since day one. Until it broke in if it was cool outside I would have to undo the two rear corners to get side windows installed. It's a great top, once it stretches a little you will love it

• I've had the same bear of a time on a trektop nx for a TJ....spent more time than I care to admit stuggling and never did get the back window in. It looks to be 4 inches too narrow (measured it as part of warranty claim) and I'm arguing with Bestop about it on their customer service line and emails. I think it was cut too narrow, they say to just follow the install instructions and don't deviate (which I didn't) and it will fit if you are in sunshine, yadda yadda. I'm about ready to chuck to whole $650 top in the trash and order one with the hardware/bows like OEM ones from Bestop that may not be such a bear to fit as the frameless. Bestop finally agreed to send me a replacement rear window but I'm still waiting for it to arrive becuase they don't keep a lot of stock on individual windows and see if it is any wider than the one with the kit. The Bestop rep did admit that the Trektop NX is their tightest fitting top and they get get a lot of calls with customer complaints on the initial install.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!