Steering Gear Box Jumped Teeth?

• When wheeling the other week my steering wheel went offcentered to the left. I assumed it was just the collar needing adjusted. I also lost a good bit of my left turning radius. I went to adjust the collar to find that its still where it was previous to wheeling, it must have jumped some teeth internally. Is it possible to loosen the gears and pop the teeth back over? Or is this box toast? I have about 1/2 of the turning radius I previously had to the left side.

• Are you sure the drag link or tie rod didn't get bent?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Ill check it again tonight but Im pretty sure I jumped one of those teeth. Ive got beefy aftermarket steering and nothing is bent..... at least on first inspection. My steering box is a crappy duralast reman durango box. I average 2 a year and ive heard of this happening but I know its not easy to do. Ill take a better look tonight.

• I bet your track bar is bent. look at the factory bend that goes over the diff and make sure its not bent more than it should be. at first glance you won't notice

• I swapped the box tonight. It was definitely the reason my turning radius was off but my wheel did turn out to just be tweaked and needed adjusting so it dident jump a gear after all. It turns lock to lock again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!