help radio cutting ouy

• has anyone had or herd of this problem? it started around thanksgiving , when I depress the clutch fully then touch the gas peddel the radio ,screen ,clock sound all turn off then fade back on after 2 seconds. at first it was intermittent now it happens all the time. I've replaced the battery,had the alternator checked, it's ok,i checked the fuse, no problem. I took the drivers seat out laid on the floor & played with the wireing harness & the peddle, nothing is being pinched or moved. it's now getting worse, sometimes the radio shuts off for up to 5 min. if anyone has any advise it would be appreciated, thanks

• Do you think that it's related to the clutch, or just a random coincidence? I replaced a factory stereo for a coworker when hers started cutting out randomly, you'd get a pop and few seconds of silence, very often. I ended up giving her my old radio (replaced mine with a factory nav unit from ebay).

I'd figure out which wires in the harness supplies power and ground and see if they're getting proper flow. If yes, then it's a bad radio. If you're seeing a short, then you know that the problem is somewhere in the wiring.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• There is no pop noise, no noise at all, just shuts off nothing on the screen. It's definatly the gas peddle, I was sitting in my driveway just bearly giving it gas & the radio would turn off every time. if I hold the gas down till radio comes back on it stays on, I can move the peddle with no problems but once I take my foot off & touch it again the radio turns off. its starting to drive me nuts. I'll try taking the radio out some time this week

• Check to make sure your battery is grounded to the frame motor and the body.

I had a similar problem where the body was using the clutch cable as a ground.

2x on ground issue, or the radio may need a new clutch.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• the battery is grounded ,no wires near the gas pedal or the clutch for that matter,no frayed wires , pulled the radio no short in the power or ground. I did a lot of driving yesterday, for shoping,radio didn't cut out once, I thought woo hoo, maby I fixed it by accident. no such luck, went to drive my daughter to school today & almost every time I touched the gas peddle the radio cut out!!! It's starting to drive me nucking futz. I red on line a coupel peoples radios were giving them the same problem, they had hardtops (I don't)but ihe wiring were the rear wiper connects was the culprit, it was loose, so if it aint raining tomorrow I'll play around with the wiring at the back of my jeep, I don't know, maby I'll get lucky

• thank you all for your input, any other ideas don't hesitate to respond I would realy like to fix this issue befor I install a new CB

• Again I say!

Make sure there is a ground strap.

Most batteries are grounded to the motor then a ground strap is attached from the motor to the chassis/body.

Make sure the second ground to the chassis/body is there.

And is the radio the only component to be affected?

• not yet, this weekend I have a friend of a friend coming over to reroute the power to the radio to see if the radio is the problem. I have checked every thing you all have sigested, it's none of them. some days it'll kill the radio every time I tap the gas pedal ( take my foot completely off then touch the pedal slighty) , some days it'll happen some of the time & some days it doesn't happen at all. when it does happen the radio (sound, screen)turn off,when it comes back on there is no interruption ,same station& song. its very perplexing. a couple of times the screen came back on but no music, sound, till I turned the ignition off and then on again. ?????

• well we figured out that you cant just rewire the radio, it's digital & would f^(% up the main computer which basicly kill my jeep. there were 5 of us me ,my mechanic buddy, & 3auto electric mechanics.we're stumped.it's actually getting worse. now if I touch anything that is electric in the dash the radio shuts down,& now it stays off for 30 seconds or more . sometimes it stays off till I turn the ignition off and then on again. turn the heat on loose the radio, open the window loose the radio,shift etc. give it gas etc, want to change the fan speed ...you guessed it , no radio! I took it to the dealer 8 hrs @ $117 an hour (that's $992.16 )& my wallet is a lot lighter but my jeep is still not fixed

• After all that you have done, I would rewire the radio. Especially your ignition/remote wire. This is the wire that goes from your ignition to a relay with the 12v power source. If you can get your hands on another radio, that would also be a good way to rule out an internal problem with the radio. Where are you located? pm me, and I will take a look if you like.

• Have you checked the wires in the door jams right near the door straps? We have several jks at work which are heavily abused. When the wind catches the doors and breaks the straps the door wires get damaged or frayed and the radio starts douing goofy stuff like staying on when vehicle is off and working intermittantly.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!