• [size=4]I just got my first Jeep a couple of weeks ago, so TheDarkSide (Andy) and I have been working on getting it trail-worthy. Our goal was to spend 1K or less, and have it able to ride on the highway and easy-ish trails. When I bought it from his younger sister, it had 276K miles and 235/75/15 tires, no window in the back hatch, and a singular, though unfortunate rust hole. Andy previously replaced a piston in it, but that's basically all that had been done to it.[/size]

[size=4]Since we got it, we've done this: added a couple leaves from a YJ spring pack to the rear (adding 1.5" lift over stock), [/size][size=large]wheel adaptors, new (to us) JK wheels, 255/75/17 tires, 1" coil spacers to the front, used 1 hockey puck on each side to the lower coil spring bucket to extend the bump stops, and removed the fender flares and trimmed the wheel openings to fit, replaced the back hatch with one that actually has glass in it (and the rear wiper works!!!). We had a mystery issue of it not wanting to start on occasion, so we added a flip-switch start which works great when the key doesn't (the girls at work said, "hey, it's like a Prius now!" ...no. Just no.)[/size]

[/size][size=4]Before, with Andy's little sister driving:[/size][size=large]

[/size][size=4]After, much improved, sans teenager, with the extra jeep skin laying in front:[/size][size=large]

[/size][size=4]Below, is the transformation in stages:[/size][size=4]Looking doofy with JK wheels and tires that have no room:[/size][size=large]

[/size][size=4]Installing spacers and bump stops:[/size][size=large]
    [img width=675 height=1200]http://i393.photobucket.com/al…13_132901_zpsxxtvvmbf.jpg[/img]

[img width=675 height=1200]http://i393.photobucket.com/al…13_133918_zpsxbmzccfx.jpg[/img]

[/size][size=4]After the fender flare came off, gross:[/size][size=large]

[/size][size=4]My man cutting stuff up:[/size][size=large]
    [img width=675 height=1200]http://i393.photobucket.com/al…13_151215_zpstb2ylrzs.jpg[/img]

[/size][size=4]Looking even doofier, without the back cut:[/size][size=large]

[/size][size=4]A lot less doofy here, but still before Andy cut the front bumper: [/size][size=large]

[/size][size=4]Close-up of the cut in the front:[/size][size=large]

[/size][size=4]We came pretty darn close to our 1K budget, and we have a couple of other things we want to do first. So far, I'm pretty happy with it! Excited to take it to Rausch in April![/size][size=large]

• This has been a fun project so far. Still a bit left to do before trail readiness. Im planning on some home made bar pin eliminators made from the rear swaybar brackets. This will give the stock shocks one more inch of down travel, to make up for the 1.5" lift we are running. The rear is also in need of bump stops. As far as the front goes we need to come up with a swaybar disconnect solution. Im considering doing a cut and fold on the rear quarter panels, and trim the rear bumper. I know that with the short stature they may end up in harms way on the trail.

Something like this

• Andy, Hardkor did the rear tuck and fold on his XJ. I'll see if Lisa can shoot Sarah some pics on FB.

I did the home brew discos on the YJ. Not sure if that'll work on the XJ but I'll try and find the JF thead on them.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Also got a chance to play on the rti ramp. Once we get the swaybar disconnected in the front it should do pretty well. The rear stuffs in the wheel well perfectly, about a quarter inch all the way around. However my photographer missed that.

• You can take off and throw away the rear swaybar if you haven't yet. :) With those extra leaves, you don't even need it. Looking good!

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• http://delaware.craigslist.org/pts/5432581148.html

Saw this and thought of you guys.

It's nice of you to post this, but pre-97 XJ parts are about as compatible with 97+ XJs as they are TJs.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Shows you how much I know about XJs. :doh:

I'll forgive you. :innocent: XJs are sometimes mysterious creatures to Wrangler guys.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I've got a hatch off a 99 in your color sitting in my shed.

You can have it if you come get it. I'm in Glenmoore, PA.

All Hail MrSimon, King of Spare XJ Parts!

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!