New Drive Shaft U Joint size

• I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new sye adapter and will more than likely buy a new drive shaft and use the current one as a spare. The old one will technically work but should be slightly longer.

Because I'm keeping the flanges instead of yokes switching between the sizes/drive shafts in my jeep should be no issue.

There is $110 difference between the two. I see some people say 1350 all the way. Others say 1310 because they would prefer the drive shaft to break before the axle.

I currently have an 8.8 rear with 4.56 gears and a locker with 35" tires.

If you were to buy a new drive shaft would you get the 1350 size U joint or stick with the 1310?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I'd say stick with stock sized with stock sized axles and t-case. Front's still 1310 right? You'd have all of the same type and should be a bit cheaper. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I remember thinking that the larger joints lost some flex clearance prior. I broke other stuff before the joint in the driveline, and never did break a 1310 on my previous stock sized setup.[/font]

• If you decide to go stronger:
    "With Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts new “GOLD SEAL” universal joint, if the universal joint breaks, Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts will also **warranty** damage to the drive shaft!"

Note: I am not necessarily suggesting that this is the best option for your particular application, just offering the info to help you make an informed decision. I do, however, highly recommend Tom Wood's. Both my front and rear driveshafts as well as my SYE are from Wood's. In my experience, their customer service is exceptional.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• If you decide to go stronger:
    "With Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts new “GOLD SEAL” universal joint, if the universal joint breaks, Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts will also **warranty** damage to the drive shaft!"

Note: I am not necessarily suggesting that this is the best option for your particular application, just offering the info to help you make an informed decision. I do, however, highly recommend Tom Wood's. Both my front and rear driveshafts as well as my SYE are from Wood's. In my experience, their customer service is exceptional.

That's where I'm going. I swapped a few emails back and forth with him about my current drive shaft with the advanced adapters SYE I planned on getting. He went out of his way to verify the dimensions of my current shaft and any alterations I needed. Due to his help I'm just going to order my SYE from him and will probably get a new drive shaft with it to have a spare.

As I said in my post questioning which SYE, he offers to change the length on one of his shafts and re-balance it for $70. That seems like a good deal and reason in itself to get one of his drive shafts if you intend on changing your jeep in the future.

As far as the rest of my jeep I do have a modified stock drive shaft in the front.

• I went 1350 because the rear get's more abuse. Your 8.8 can handle it so why not do it right the first time? :shrug: I didn't have any u-joint clearance issues with it even before the stretch but then again, every Jeeps different.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!