Need confirmation of what I think I already know.

• I am currently running:

Front - HP Dana 30, 4.56 Yukon R&P, Nitro chromolys with Alloy-x u-joints, ARB locker, RuffStuff diff cover, u-bolt yoke

Rear - Chrysler 8.25, 4.56 Yukon R&P, full Detroit, RuffStuff diff cover, Libby disc brake swap, u-bolt yoke

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• So what I think I already know is:
    [list type=decimal]
    [li]These 44s are well worth the $$$. [/li]
    [li]I can definitely recoup some of my costs by selling my existing axles. They have some very desirable upgrades. I can get maybe $1000 or more for the pair? or they would be worth even more as part-out?[/li]
    [/list]

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• If your front axle is a hp30 its not much of an upgrade. If you have a lp30 it doesn't sound bad.

Front is HP from a '99 XJ. D44 is LP, right? So that is a downgrade. Is the LP enough of a negative to be a dealbreaker?

The upgrades would be the gearing, the 35 spline RCV shafts, and all that structural reinforcement.

~ JD

• Hp d30 vs LP d44 has been proven to be a wash in a front application. 35 spline inners are pretty pointless when you still have 27 spline stubs. The rcv's are nice shafts though.

I totally agree about the ring and pinion strength being pretty much as wash. The higher pinion and slightly better clearance of the HP30 makes me prefer a HP30 to a TJ Rubicon 44 hybrid.

• I totally agree about the ring and pinion strength being pretty much as wash. The higher pinion and slightly better clearance of the HP30 makes me prefer a HP30 to a TJ Rubicon 44 hybrid.

I get it, but, but, but...
    the lower gearing, the RCVs, the trusses? Not worth it?

~ JD

• the lower gearing, the RCVs, the trusses? Not worth it?

Trying to look at both sides here. Maybe my 4.56s are low enough gearing, and if I really want the stronger shafts, I could save a lot of money and a lot of work by simply getting RCVs for the D30.
    :shrug:

~ JD

• ... and I see that no one has commented on the rear.

I have never seen anyone break a 8.25. and come to think of it, I think I prefer the Detriot in the rear to selectable.

~ JD

• 5.13 gearing in a TJ 44 is just a bad idea IMO. You are getting way too thin on the ring and the pinion is just super small at that point.

4.56's and maybe 4.88's are about as low as I would go. JK 44's have larger pinions to start so you can get away with 5.13's. That's what I run in my JK but even then, I would't hammer on it like I would if it had 4.56's.

I think you should just run what you have and save the money. :shrug:

• On a side note, I'll never understand why someone would put that much money into a 44. You could probably find 60's or a 14 bolt and build them for less than they put into trusses and all the stuff in those 44's. The RCV's alone will make the differential the weak point.

• The RCV's alone will make the differential the weak point.

Better to break a u-joint and ears of an axle shaft than eff up the innards of a diff and possibly damage a locker.

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!