Motor mounts

• I was told that I have a busted motor mount although I haven't visually confirmed this yet. The guy @ Meineke rev'd the engine while in drive and the Jeep torqued a fair amount. So if I do end up replacing them, what are the pros/cons of rubber vs poly mounts? Are there any other brands other than MORE and Brown Dog would you suggest? Price difference is negligible so that's not a factor. I figure that I'll probably do a 1" lift as well.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Poly is harder and will transfer more vibrations to the frame. Probably not a big deal in yours. It is also resistant to breaking down from oils and with as much trans fluids as yours spews all over the engine bay it, again, probably isn't a bad choice.

:roflmao: Decision made!! :roflmao:

• Fwiw, I had the poly mounts in the Cherokee and regretted it pretty quickly. Mainly from vibrations coming from the fan... when I did the first motor swap, I put in a set of stock rubber mounts.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• When I bought my Brown Dog 1" motor mounts years ago they didn't offer the rubber bushing option, all though the vibration isn't bad if I had to do it over today I'd go with the rubber bushings. I believe you can buy just the bushings now for the Brown Dog mounts.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• When I bought my Brown Dog 1" motor mounts years ago they didn't offer the rubber bushing option, all though the vibration isn't bad if I had to do it over today I'd go with the rubber bushings. I believe you can buy just the bushings now for the Brown Dog mounts.

Life-Time Warranty.

•If our product was installed correctly and any yellow (or factory-welded to yellow) portion of our product fails,

•Send us photos showing product was properly installed in the correct application (i.e. Jeep vehicle, year, engine) and the failure.

•We'll send your free replacements. No shipping, handling, evaluation or any other hidden charge. Free is free.

The replaceable Ultra-Flex Rubber or Classic Polyurethane bushings are not covered. If we want the mounts or brackets returned, we'll pay for the shipping after you've received and installed the replacements. We're that sure.

•ANY alteration(s) of any kind without our explicit pre-approval voids the entire warranty.

Confirmed that they are replaceable, thanks for the info. :up:

• Fwiw, I had the poly mounts in the Cherokee and regretted it pretty quickly. Mainly from vibrations coming from the fan... when I did the first motor swap, I put in a set of stock rubber mounts.

Cherokees are unibody so you only have the motor mount isolating the engine from the passengers. With an actual frame in a wrangler the body itself is isolated from the frame. Come on though, its a leaf sprung YJ vibration levels and ride quality are not in its list of good qualities anyway. I had have the MORE mounts with poly bushings and never noticed a difference.

• Well the replacement bushings are only $15... so if I don't like the vibes or they disintegrate faster than I like, I can easily replace them. I think I'll start out with a set of the rubber bushings and see how they do.

One other question I have after doing some reading up... does anyone think there will be any clearance issues between the fan and the radiator? 4.2, auto, mechanical fan... I just don't want to get the new mounts in and find out that now I have to switch to an E-fan and all of the associated work involved with that.

• Are you certain you are going to put in a 1" body lift? If so, I'd check to make sure you have no issues at all your body mounts (rust, seized bolts, etc) before making the decision on the height of the motor mount. Otherwise you may be sitting on a body lift that can't be easily installed, a set of new motor mounts that can't be installed until after you fix the body mounts, and a busted motor mount that is still installed. In the end if you decide to not go with the body lift, then why not go with an OEM replacement motor mount? They are $15 on Amazon and will probably give you another 20 years before you have to mess with them again.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ancho…=2&vehicleType=automotive

• Are you certain you are going to put in a 1" body lift? If so, I'd check to make sure you have no issues at all your body mounts (rust, seized bolts, etc) before making the decision on the height of the motor mount. Otherwise you may be sitting on a body lift that can't be easily installed, a set of new motor mounts that can't be installed until after you fix the body mounts, and a busted motor mount that is still installed. In the end if you decide to not go with the body lift, then why not go with an OEM replacement motor mount? They are $15 on Amazon and will probably give you another 20 years before you have to mess with them again.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ancho…=2&vehicleType=automotive

This is why I love fellow Jeep owners! I had first searched for OEM motor mounts at first but had veered off course when I remembered mentions of BD and M.O.R.E. mounts. I think I will take your suggestion for the interim and then look at doing the MM and body lift together down the road. I definitely would like to do a 1" body lift as the original mounts look like smooshed pancakes under there. So yes, I am certain that I will do it but probably not in the immediate future. Thanks again for the suggestion.

• I looked over the motor mounts this past weekend. I do not see any structural cracks/breaks at all. The rubber/poly bushings inside are shot though. Going to order a set of replacement mounts and replace them hopefully by this weekend.

Any suggestions to make the job easier? It looks like a pretty straight forward job. Jack under block, replace one side @ a time...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!