1990 fuel gauge not working 15 gallon tank with 4.2 motor

• im sure this was covered ? gauge never worked well 1/4 tank better fill up! then gauge went to full and never moved? i bought plug in gauge cluster and new sending unit but i have no power to plug to sending unit? key on i even cranked motor over no power! gauges have 12volts i wanted to keep factory but is there way to bypass factory harness? i dont want to blow up lol any info i would be greatful :) my jeep 1990 4.2 yj 15 gallon tank

• I don't think real power goes to the sending unit. The fuel gauge is really just an ohmmeter. It is powered by the ignition, but it just senses the amount of resistance in the sending unit. Don't put power to it, it can make the resistor coils glow red hot in the tank.

• if you replaced the sending unit and the gauge and it still doesn't work, I would first look at the sending unit connector from the existing harness. That side of the connector may be corroded and need cleaning. That would add much resistance and screw with the reading. Next I would look at the harness connector that goes to the gauge, same thing, needs to be shiny metal and squeeze on tight. I clean them with a small piece of 400 grit paper rolled up and shaped to fit. It loads up quick if there's corrosion, so use a new piece if you need. Hose it with some contact cleaner and the put corrosion preventer on and snap it together.

• Also check that the tank is properly grounded. An ohmmeter should read very little resistance between the tank (bare metal) and the frame. If it is high, clean the ground.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!