Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If you're looking at the front of the store, go in and to the left, back of the store area towards the driver's lounge and the CB shop is back there. The guy got me the correct cable length and tuned the antenna (4' Firestick). Then he went back into the shop and radio checked me at Rt. 4 and Rt. 72 if I recall correctly before I wasn't able to brodacast to him. With his base station setup he was coming in loud and clear on my side though.

• What mount did you buy?

For standard CB coax, RG-58 cable has been the gold standard for years. If you want to spend a little more money on the coax, maybe spring for RG-8X instead? It is a little bigger diameter and might be tougher to route in certain locations, but it can take more abuse over the years. Basically, -59 is thinner so can be routed easier but it more susceptible to damage if/when you kink it. Conversely, -8X isn't as convenient to route due to not bending quite as well, but if you do have to bend it the braided core takes it better than the solid core found inside the -59.

18' is the standard length that seems to do well in most Jeeps. Make sure you choose the correct end where it connects to your mount - either the barrel plug (PL-259) or the newer ring connector. Ring connector has the advantage of routing the cable directly sideways from the mount. I've never used the ring connector but it seems like more kits are starting to come with them.

Amazon is fine for ordering the coax - it'll be a basic generic cable that will work fine for your everyday Jeeper. If you want to get something a little more robust/reputable, then maybe catch up with Jerry ( @whatevah ) as he is much smarter than the average bear in regards to mobile communications.

Lastly, I think there is an SWR meter that may be floating around the club. You'd use the meter to help tune your antenna to fit your installation. If it isn't available, then I'm sure one of the shops listed above could help you tune it for a small fee. I had one for years, but the last club member to "borrow" it hasn't had the time to return it. :doh:

• What mount do you have? That will help decide your coax fitting. You'll need a little room below the mount for the standard type, if it's a tight fit, you'll want to use a ring connector. I do have room on my tire carrier, but I used the ring connector to keep things neat and usually recommend that.

I'd actually suggest just using the standard RG-58 cable as the benefits really only show up with higher power radios.

Specifically, I'd recommend the FireStik K4-8R18. That's their RG-58 "fire-flex" cable with a ring end and the antenna mount to go on your bracket. http://amzn.to/2nfQ7kV You'll need to solder on the radio end connector (it's not done at the factory so you can fish it through the Jeep first). I can help with that and tuning your antenna (what antenna did you get?), too. Speaking of antennas... how far will it stick above the Jeep top, and is it flexible? If it sticks up above the top more than a few inches, you want it to be somewhat flexible so you don't break anything by catching it on a branch. If the antenna isn't flexible, you can put a spring under it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Speaking of antennas... how far will it stick above the Jeep top, and is it flexible? If it sticks up above the top more than a few inches, you want it to be somewhat flexible so you don't break anything by catching it on a branch. If the antenna isn't flexible, you can put a spring under it.

...or parking garages like @ the Wilmington courthouse for when you drive inside and hear your antenna smacking EVERY. SINGLE. FLOOR. JOIST. ON. THE. ROOF. ABOVE. YOU!! :bang:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• ...or parking garages like @ the Wilmington courthouse for when you drive inside and hear your antenna smacking EVERY. SINGLE. FLOOR. JOIST. ON. THE. ROOF. ABOVE. YOU!! :bang:

Been there... a quick disconnect is your friend for parking garages. Had to park in the garage at the Wilmington Hospital occasionally, had to pull the antenna every time. https://www.quadratec.com/products/96081_005.htm Keep in mind that you'll need to retune the antenna if you want to use one of these.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Been there... a quick disconnect is your friend for parking garages. Had to park in the garage at the Wilmington Hospital occasionally, had to pull the antenna every time. https://www.quadratec.com/products/96081_005.htm Keep in mind that you'll need to retune the antenna if you want to use one of these.

As bad of a beating as it took it'll probably need to be retuned anyways... maybe even replaced. It took about a dozen good whacks before I figured out what the noise was and pulled off to the side to take it off. Luckily I was going slow already and the antenna base has a spring mount as well. It was JUST barely loose enough to undo by hand and throw it in the Jeep. A guy and his wife walking through the garage got a good chuckle at my expense.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!