Herculining

• I was thinking about herculining the tub of my tj and was wondering if anybody else was interested in doing the same. I know some people posted in a thread before that they were going to i dont know whether that went through or not but I was planning on doing it sometime before mid july. I was just seeing if anyone else had the same idea so we can do a herculinefest or something. I think they have the herculine kit at pep-boys for a decent price.

• i'm interested in lining my tub this summer too. i've been looking for herc alternatives...but most things don't seem to impress me unless they run $500+ at pro shops. it'll probably be herc in the end - but i'm spraying it in as opposed to rolling it on.
    chris

• I'm in too. Did anybody ever find out if we could get a discount for a group buy?

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Im not sure what price your looking for but PepBoys now sells the kit for about 60 bucks.....When i did mine it was 90, and naturally 3 weeks later they dropped the price. I like my herc, and i rolled it on just so i wouldnt deal with the mess.....Came out great. The only spot i need to touch up is right where my foot rests under the gas pedal.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• just checked with pepboys. $69.98...with a $20 mail-in rebate off of that. i have all the masking tape i'll need for my tub, an air compressor in the garage, and plenty of scuff pads for scouring the paint. i'm low on xylene though so i may have to pick up another quart. my underbody spray gun, electric drill mixer, and funnels for filling the quart jar are being shipped as you read this. all i have to do is pick up the herc. i scuffed 75% of my jeep's tub interior last summer in hopes of doing this - maybe i can finally get this finished once and for all. maybe sometime in july???
    chris

• well lets set a date and meet up some where and get it done i am off on wednesdays and sundays anytime so whenevers good i will probably pic up my herc in like a week or so.

• when i think about it - herc'ing doesn't seem to be a group sort of thing. i can't seeing pep boys giving a group buy price to us. also, you'd have 5 or 6 jeeps in someone's driveway with all the interiors ripped out. once sprayed or rolled....they would have to wait the day to put back together. see what i mean? the more the merrier for each person's jeep...but only one at a time i think.
    chris (does that make any sense?)

• Quote from "quadna71"

when i think about it - herc'ing doesn't seem to be a group sort of thing. i can't seeing pep boys giving a group buy price to us. also, you'd have 5 or 6 jeeps in someone's driveway with all the interiors ripped out. once sprayed or rolled....they would have to wait the day to put back together. see what i mean? the more the merrier for each person's jeep...but only one at a time i think.
    chris (does that make any sense?)

Good point Chris. How long DOES it take to dry? It might be something to do in combo w/wrenching on someone else's Jeep while waiting for it to dry?

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• FYI when I did my MJ I sprayed it in with one of the Harbor Freight guns...worked really well with the air turned down to about 60psi and the liner thinned just a tad with some xylene. IIRC I did 5 or so coats (I wanted it as thick as possible) and I gave it an hour or so to tack up between coats. After the final coat I let it sit 24hrs before reassembling the interior and it was still a bit soft. It takes about a week until it's up to full hardness. Also...better make sure the weather's gonna be nice for at least a few days afterwards as you _will_ be ridng with open windows and/or no top due to the fumes.

--Ian

• I herc'd my tub a couple weeks ago, count on It taking 2 days...1 day of prep and paint, and one for drying....

I took all seats out and carpet and consoles and taped off where needed...couldnt get seatbelt torx bolts out so I left them in, they were tight as hell....anyway..., then took a wet cloth a cleaned all the dried up mud and dirt out of the XJ and wiped It cleaned, then used a circle sander lightly (low grit paper-It was red and turned white when I used It)...anyway did the whole tub, then whiped all the dust and dirt clean with mineral oil and then rolled on the herc with a roller and touched up the corners with lil paint brush....then the whole next day It dried until 3-4pm I put everything back in....good as new....1 good tip...wear gloves, dont get It on you...Its a bytch to get off....If so gas works best for geting It off....atleast for me

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• I Herulined a few weeks ago and I love it. Took me an entire weekend. The prep took the most time. Well remove everything that was bolted down wasn't so bad. But i took my time with the the cleaning of the tub and the tape up job. I used those SOS pads. Those steelwool with soap pads. It helped scuff up the paint and cleaned the surface at the same time. After that I washed out that entire tub with xylene. One thing I can't stress enough is to wear gloves and cover up. Herculiner does not come off especialy on skin. Seriously don't make the mistake i did. Do not get this stuff on your skin. I used the small brush and roller that comes with the kit. PepBoys also had a small plastic paint pan for the 4 inch roller. I used this and it worked well with the roller provided. Also very important is to keep mixing this stuff. I used a mixer attached to my cordless drill. But also keep mixing the stuff in your pan with the brush. The rough particles settle very quickly. Also, as i'm thinking back I remember that I did a lot of the work with the brush. Dabbing with the brush helps to get that rough surface. The brush is needed for edges, corners and things like that. I used the brush a lot up front under the seats. theres a lot of contour up there. A lot of edges and small vertical and rounded edges. I did this on the street so i left the soft top up just to keep leaves and crap out. Oh by the way this stuff stinks. I smelled this stuff for atleast a week. Don't forget to do the tailgate too. It looks great. I took that off and the tranny cover and did those while waiting for the first coat to dry a bit. All said and done, the prep work took a good day. And the painting too another. I would start prep work friday early afternoon. Start painting saturday afternoon. Just to make sure its all cured enough to put everything back on sunday afternoon. Once you start painting you move very quickly. I had just enough for the tub, that vertical area above the wheel wells just below the tops bolts too, and for the tailgate. When I was done I didn't have a drop of paint to spare. After I was all done I found a few spots that I'd like to hit again. But I really had to look to find those spots. I'll try to post a pic or two when I get a chance.

• i spent this morning stripping the interior in my jeep. most of the tub is scuffed...only have to pull both the seats to finish the prep. i picked up a new can of xylene and a bag of full-cuffed rubber gloves. oh, pep boys of dover, while having the best price, doesn't stock the herculiner anymore. but i took their flyer/circular over to autozone and they pricematched it. 69.98 w/mail-in rebate of another $20 :up: now if only my harbor freight order would arrive....
    chris

• Quote from "quadna71"

i spent this morning stripping the interior in my jeep. most of the tub is scuffed...only have to pull both the seats to finish the prep. i picked up a new can of xylene and a bag of full-cuffed rubber gloves. oh, pep boys of dover, while having the best price, doesn't stock the herculiner anymore. but i took their flyer/circular over to autozone and they pricematched it. 69.98 w/mail-in rebate of another $20 :up: now if only my harbor freight order would arrive....
    chris

how long is that pep boys sale running
    I could swing by auto zone and get a gallon

• not sure, joe. the herc is advertised in their flyer - and listed with a promo price of $69.98 - $20 less than at autozone. the additional $20 rebate is a mail-in rebate. autozone has those rebate sheets on the wall by the herc. just grab a pepboys flyer and head to autozone.

nothing in the mail from HF....so i put the seats back in and pushed it off another week.
    chris

• well, the tub is stripped of all items, scuffed, vacuumed, cleaned, xylened, and all the pertinent things are taped off. time to mix the herc and give it a shot. wish me luck :)
    chris

p.s. i'll be outside for the rest of the day wasting the gallon away on anything i can reach with the air hose in case someone wants to stop by. :suspicious:
    (do a search for quadna71 and wrenchfest for directions)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!