A reason to get rid of that Dana turdy-five

• From http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/s….php?t=15970&page=1&pp=15

• Wow, that's incredible. Trashes his Jeep, starts a fire, has a tire hit someone else's car, and he can still see the bright side, that's awesome. I'm glad no one was hurt, that could have been really nasty.

So, what exactly happened? I have a D35 (for now), but I haven't ever towed it or another vehicle other than on a carrier. Did he not do it right? How was the D35 at fault?

• Quote from "wanderlust"

So, what exactly happened? I have a D35 (for now), but I haven't ever towed it or another vehicle other than on a carrier. Did he not do it right? How was the D35 at fault?

C-clips use a small piece of metal to hols the axle in, inside of the carrier. If this works its way loose, which is very easy, or the shaft breaks, there is nothing else holding the wheel and tire on. Unlike most other axles that have a bearing retainer that holds the shaft in down by the flange. But with the AMC20 with the two-piece shaft you can still snap the flange off and have the wheel fall off, hence the upgrade to one-piece shafts.

• Thanks for the explanation guys. I have a lot to learn about drivetrains and axles yet... :doh:

• Quote from "DCC"

The C-clips held up in my YJ for more than 260k miles. (and I didn't exactly baby it either) :chicken:

The problem with this design isn't specifically that the c-clips fail, it's that if the axle shaft breaks, there is nothing to retain it in the axle.

• Quote from "Keith_C"

The problem with this design isn't specifically that the c-clips fail, it's that if the axle shaft breaks, there is nothing to retain it in the axle.

That's why I went to an 8.8 when my pinion bearings went south. :peace:

I was mostly replying to this. :folded:

Quote from "sgtpeppr"

C-clips use a small piece of metal to hols the axle in, inside of the carrier. If this works its way loose, which is very easy,

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!