Cage and rocker pics Finally

• I prob won't be at the meeting due to scheduling conflicts. If you are in the newark area give me a call - number in members section.

Jason

• ok i will be up hear till friday so i will give you a call.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Ok, I have a question... but I'm too lazy to search Pirate for the answer. Especially since I am not going with the same design.

On the frame tie in method used here:

How does it hold up to a full roll, not just a "flop"? It just seems to me that since the energy will roll off the end of the cage leg, and the frame tie in is 90 degrees from that point, that the effective leverage that will be put on the welds where the frame tie in actually connects to the frame will be too great... and result in a failure rather easily.

I'm no engineer (although I do spell like one) but that 90 degree joint just looks week. I think it should at least be attached flush with the top side of the frame and gusseted on each side of the frame tie in's square tube, down to the bottom side of the frame.

Kinda like this...

Just a thought...

Anyone know if its needed or is the design as posted good enough?

• Hey Rob you should stop and look at the cage in the CJ, my braces have more of an angle to them but there is a lot you aren't seeing from the photos holding it in. There are 6x6 plates welded on the top and bottom and bolted through each other, the B pillar is bolted through the body mount, and my rocker guards are tied in to the whole thing as well. I also had Zach weld spreaders from left to right for the seats to mount to so I pretty much have a tube frame like you want where my jeep can fall off around me and I am still in the cage.

• Quote from "roeper72"

Hey Rob you should stop and look at the cage in the CJ, my braces have more of an angle to them but there is a lot you aren't seeing from the photos holding it in. There are 6x6 plates welded on the top and bottom and bolted through each other, the B pillar is bolted through the body mount, and my rocker guards are tied in to the whole thing as well. I also had Zach weld spreaders from left to right for the seats to mount to so I pretty much have a tube frame like you want where my jeep can fall off around me and I am still in the cage.

Sounds familiar :rollsmile: My tieins are at a bit more of an angle also, although I think that the ones shown here are more than adequate. You've got to remember that any downward force is also absorbed by 5 other tieins as well as the body mounts as the body is sandwiched by the floor plates.

Honestly...any roll hard enough to taco those is gonna be enough to total the Jeep and make me think long and hard about getting back into one. I have no doubt mine has _more_ than enough strength built into it with the a->b, b->b, b->c and c->c spreaders that aren't visible in the pics. Like Steve's my seats are mounted to the cage along with my Crow 5-points. The only thing I could see adding in the future would be door bars for protection against rocks jutting into the cabin and possibly tieins to tube fenders and/or a grille hoop.

--Ian

• Quote from "jeeprubicon"

ian, did u ever post pics of urs?
    if not, could u ?

sure did, posted them HERE

The only difference from the pics is that we added a harness bar so that I could run shoulder harnesses...you can see it in this pic:

--Ian

• Rob, you are correct in your estimation. Ian is also correct in his statement. That tie-in is welded to 1/8" material, i.e. the frame so the welds would rip the frame apart first. To do that the whole Jeep body would have to collapse, every tube would have to bend, and I think I would rather die than live from the roll that caused all that damage.

Tie-ins are hard to not go "overkill". They are a balance of trying to keep ground clearance while still being strong. I have been playing with different designs for a while.

• Thanks for the replies. I was not ripping on Zach's work at all! just trying to understand why one design over another. Like I said, I'm no engineer... I didn't take into account the load spread over all points, the frame material thickness, or other tie in points not pictured.

I'm just trying to learn here.... I'm diving into building one myself, I got to figure this stuff out! ;)

Looks like I might just use that attachment style, as well as tie into the rockers. I'm also thinking of bringing the tube fenders and stinger all the way up to the cage, but I got to make those too...

Anyway, thanks for "schooling me".

And everything I've seen from Zach so far has been bad a$$. His work or the cost of it, is NOT whats keeping me from getting him to do it. I just want to learn to do it myself.

• Quote from "zachv"

Rob, you are correct in your estimation. Ian is also correct in his statement. That tie-in is welded to 1/8" material, i.e. the frame so the welds would rip the frame apart first. To do that the whole Jeep body would have to collapse, every tube would have to bend, and I think I would rather die than live from the roll that caused all that damage.

Tie-ins are hard to not go "overkill". They are a balance of trying to keep ground clearance while still being strong. I have been playing with different designs for a while.

Should I be wearing a Helmet :doh:

Zach, I love the cage. Its Very solid. I hope I never have to try it out, but if I do, I am confident I will walk away from it.

Jason

• jason did you get the same cage that i got just the front additions?

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Quote from "omaha"

jason did you get the same cage that i got just the front additions?

Pretty much, with a few changes and additions.

• what did you get done? differently?

• Quote from "omaha"

what did you get done? differently?

added frame tie-ins and I wanted the spreaders between the A & B pillars modified. Zach took what I was looking for and tweaked it a bit. I thought it turned out great.

• Quote from "Rob Smith"

I just want to learn to do it myself.

Rob, the more the merrier. As a business person I feel that the more quality fabricators out there will just make the sport grow quicker and that there is more work out there than a decent amount of people can handle. As a Jeeper, I feel that more people out there with the correct tools and knowledge will just make people safer as we take our vehicles where we did not think possible a few years ago. Just think, a few years ago a Smittybuilt add-on front hoop was considered radical and more than sufficient. That just is not the case any more

With my little bit of knowledge, comparatively, if there is ever anything I can do to help when you get started with your bender please feel free to ask. Bending 101 is great, but there are things left out that make things go quicker.

BTW, jwalker, you may want to consider a helmet. Not because of the cage, but I am sure that there are some guys that would love to do you in to get a chance at that cute Jeep chick you are associated with. :spinrhead:

• shhhh zach dont let him know our plans.:suspicious:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!