TOPIC of the day: Lighten your load

• We all know the lighter our rigs the better they will perform and less likely they will break stuff. Lets throw out some ways to lighten up the load.

-Swap battery for a dry cell
    -remove carpets / rear seat.

Steve (discuss)

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• cut the jeep in half under the drivers seat that gets rid of ALOT of weight. ill have an exact # for ya in a couple months. :rasp:

• go topless like me :spinrhead: , remove your spare tire carrier and third brake light and mount the spare in the back after removing all your rear seatbelts, carpet, and back seat

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• CJs and Wranglers are already pretty bare. Aside from getting rid of the back seat, I can't think of anywhere that you could shed a considerable amount of weight from.

Of course, when you end up putting in a roll cage and skid plates it's an excersise in futility.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Remove the inner fenders, flat fender the front or run a crawler hood, comp cut the rear or back half it, loose rear trac bar, loose all the misc dashboard plastic, remove the AC and heater, remove the console, remove the carpet, remove the radio and speakers, remove all defroster ducting, remove windshield frame, top, and doors. remove rear seat. gut the grill. install a shortstar. loose the factory seats for poly racing seats.

How far you wanna go?

There is a lot of weight that can be shed, it just depends on how much "comfort" and road legality you can live without... and your budget.

• I think CertK9 said it best. That way you don't have to worry about doing a "nature trail" while in the middle of the trail ride. :rollsmile: It keeps things moving. :roll:

:jester:

You can shed a lot of stuff, as Rob described, but I don't think it will be enough to see a difference and keep it somewhat comfortable. If you really wanted to shed weight then you should look at aluminum heads and what not.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Another thing to try....keep a fairly empty tank of gas and only put a few gallons in at a time. Sure, you won't be able to go far, but a 19 gallon tank full is about 110.20-123.50lbs! (not including the weight of the tank itself)

I know...dumb idea...just felt like researching the weight of gas :)

• Quote from "Slimer"

If you really wanted to shed weight then you should look at aluminum heads and what not.

Thats what the shortstar is for! :D

After getting the 1 ton axles under the Jeep I am putting her on a diet. :D

I am loosing a lot of the above mentioned junk... I'm not loosing all of it, but enough. Also if someone would be so kind as to give me about $75K I'll let you know how much weight all of that junk saves you. $35K for the tow rig, $5K for the trailer, $35K for parts :D

• i think i cut about 800 lbs off my jeep. i could have done another 200-300.

I swaped the motor for a light v6
    got rid of all dash and heater stuff
    windshield and glass
    all seat belts, door hinges and latches, seat brackets, rear seat, gas tank, brakes, ect.
    i used a 10 gal cell, willwood brakes, and other simular things to lighten everything up.

my new jeep will under 3k, i am thinking about 2800 lbs with the 37's and bead locks.

• If you aren't running in comps whats the point of sacrificing comfort for weight :hmm: I love the fact that I can listen to my nice stereo, drive 2.5 hrs in a comfortable jeep, wheel the piss out of it on black/red trails and then drive home in the same comfort.

Now if I were to build a comp rig, I would not even think of a jeep, sami all the way, cut the hell out of the back of it, run toyota axles F/R. With the 1.3L motor a tiny aluminum tranny and one or two toyota t-cases, you could roll that thing back on all fours with one or two people.

• WHATS UP WITH THAT
    Anyway I think you need weight in the front.
    So your front tires keep a good grip and stay on the ground?
    ripping the stuff out of the back sounds cool but put in a
    4 banger whats up with that.

• Quote from "turtle"

If you aren't running in comps whats the point of sacrificing comfort for weight :hmm: I love the fact that I can listen to my nice stereo, drive 2.5 hrs in a comfortable jeep, wheel the piss out of it on black/red trails and then drive home in the same comfort.

Now if I were to build a comp rig, I would not even think of a jeep, sami all the way, cut the hell out of the back of it, run toyota axles F/R. With the 1.3L motor a tiny aluminum tranny and one or two toyota t-cases, you could roll that thing back on all fours with one or two people.

agree'd with the wanting a nice ride and stereo if you drive it on the road.

Weight is only needed to be shaved in certian areas. weight up high is bad.
    unsprung weight is not bad. there is a balance for unsprung.
    any weight above the floor is bad. some is nessecary, but excessive weight high will cause tippy behavior.

find the balance and go with it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!