• i did alot of lookin at long arms before i ordered my lift. if you want to keep your springs then you can always buy a long arm upgrade kit from RE but they seem to hang down alot more than lot of the other brands. Clayton hard arms seem to be a very nice kit and you can get just thier long arm upgrade for like 1499 off their web site claytonoffroad.com i think it is. toys by troy also makes long arm kits that seem pretty nice, didnt look at them much though. cant really take all the credit for knowing this...got all my "ideas" from quadna... :wavey: thanks chris!

• umm ......... okay

we now return u to the topic on hand

the rk kit i was looking at
    i kow is a complete kit
    still
    i'd use everything but the springs that come with it

i like the ones i have now

i know clayton makes great long arms

but they are over kill for me imo
    for what little i do i just cant seem to
    justify claytons
    or any long arms for that matter

so im still on the fence
    whats a 3.5 RE sprung long arm gonna loook like with 33's?

• Do we have a sarcasm smiley? :hmm: Maybe we need one.

Andrew, I'd say get the best you can afford. Being a CJ guy I don't know the long arm market (let alone TJ) but even though the Claytons are overkill for what you want now, it would be one less thing you have to worry about. As long as the price comparison was reasonable of course.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "jeeprubicon"

whats a 3.5 RE sprung long arm gonna loook like with 33's?

thats what i was worried about too, and why i didnt get them. i was looking on the RE web site at the pics they have on there and it looks like you lose a little clearance with their mounting plate since you have to use their cross member (the arms mount there) thats just my opinion though, i decided that ill wait until i go over 4 in of lift before i go long arms just my two cents :peace:

• I ran the RK kit with 3.5" RE springs, With the 3.5" springs, the arms were drawn all the way in, and it still wasn't quite "right" They really needed more adjustment to make them shorter.

Another thing to think of is with 33's you overall arm clearance will be much better with short arms. Is their a particular reason you want to go with long arms?? Knowing how my 3.5" coils rode with RE arms front/ rear uppers and lowers, I really regret changing to the long arm kit. It actually rode better with the RE arms than the RK "kit".

• Quote from "turtle"

I ran the RK kit with 3.5" RE springs, With the 3.5" springs, the arms were drawn all the way in, and it still wasn't quite "right" They really needed more adjustment to make them shorter.

Another thing to think of is with 33's you overall arm clearance will be much better with short arms. Is their a particular reason you want to go with long arms?? Knowing how my 3.5" coils rode with RE arms front/ rear uppers and lowers, I really regret changing to the long arm kit. It actually rode better with the RE arms than the RK "kit".

really thinking of long arms b/c
    i know i need to replace all my short arms
    my lift is a piece meal
    so my arms are very used
    not too bad shape
    but need replacing
    so i figured if im gonna replace them
    might aswell go long arm

thats is my thinking so far
    i know i dont need them per- say
    b/c i dont wheel my heep enough

That's MR. Captain Beach , to you

Edited once, last by ().

• As far as wheeling, short arms are better in some situations. I just loved my on-road ride with my RE 3.5" short arm kit but if you are in need of upgrading all the arms, then the RK kit is not a bad way to go. The newer joints willl last much longer than mine did and te new rear bushings they use are much better than the old ones. RK had a terrible reputation a few years ago but they are one of the few companies that actively upgrades their products on a regular basis. In the 3 yrs I have followed them, they have had 4 incarnations of their long arms and the x-factor kit is a really good kit. If I were to buy rockkrawler again that is the kit I would get. You are looking at $1300 to your door for it.

• so this kit doesnt take a whole lot of drilling right
    like the RE kit

looks like the long arm mounts get sandwiched between the frame and the x-case skid
    that right ?

Edited once, last by ().

• THe regular RK kit has the brackets sandwiched between the x-case skid and the frame. The bracket also needs to be welded to the frame. You need to drill 4 holes in the drivers side frame rail for the front upper torque arm mount. Other than that their is no drilling. The x-factor t-case skid bolts to the stock holes and I am pretty sure no drilling is involved other than the torque arm.

• In the topic, you had asked about long arms, but said that a Clayton kit was too much. In what respect? If you do decide to go with a LA upgrade give me a shout as we offer Clayton kits at the maximum discount we are allowed by Clayton.

• Quote from "zachv"

In the topic, you had asked about long arms, but said that a Clayton kit was too much. In what respect? If you do decide to go with a LA upgrade give me a shout as we offer Clayton kits at the maximum discount we are allowed by Clayton.

Yes, guys, Zach quoted me a cheap price than Clayton did himself and look where i work ... :up:

• zach

given the overall stoutness of the claytons
    they are beefy and very heavy i hear
    havent seen a set up close as of yet

i just think they would be overkill for what little i do

Edited once, last by ().

• Quote from "jeeprubicon"

i just think they would be overkill for what little i do

Didn't know there was such a thing as overkill in the jeeping world :wink:

• okay digging this back up

now with long arms
    on some kits the uppers attach to the lowers
    and on some kits the uppers use the stocks mounts

pros / cons to this

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!