Today's Mod. (Updated pics - 5/16)

• I finally finished the guard for my Dana 30 today.

I bought the ring from a guy on JU that has them laser cut. It's 3/8" thick.

I used 3"x3/16" flat bar for the guard.

Tacked together:

Welded and ground out:

Painted:

Now onto the rear:

• That looks great Keith! Its amazing how it went from tacked to finish product and looked so different. Plus that hammered finish looks great on everything.

-Chris (has got to learn how to weld)

• Quote from "JeepSahara"

That looks great Keith! Its amazing how it went from tacked to finish product and looked so different. Plus that hammered finish looks great on everything.

-Chris (has got to learn how to weld)

One of the advantages of welding over say woodworking is that joint fitment is not critical to the integrity of the joint. And the grinder can make a not so pretty weld disappear.

I stopped and got some 2" square tubing and angle on the way home today. I want to build a rack for the rear hitch receiver next.

• Keith you are doing some great mods. Especially since you are making them yourself. I want to take a welding class this summer. Seems most of the mods can be made yourself if you have the tools and know how.

• Quote from "jwalk"

Keith you are doing some great mods. Especially since you are making them yourself. I want to take a welding class this summer. Seems most of the mods can be made yourself if you have the tools and know how.

I took a course at Sussex Vo-Tech about a year ago.

I already had some basic knowledge, but was able to get much better in Stick and Mig and learned the basics of TIG.

It was about a $350 course, but my employer at the time payed for it. :smile:

My next big project will be a front bumper to mach the rear. :grin: I bought enough 3x5" tubing to do both.

• that looks like it was manufactured with machines i wish i could do some handy work like that all i seem to be able to do is destroy stuff lately. great job :tup: ................me want

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Quote from "Urbancrawler22"

that looks like it was manufactured with machines i wish i could do some handy work like that all i seem to be able to do is destroy stuff lately. great job :tup: ................me want

Well, the ring with the holes in it was laser cut - I bought it.

I paid $27.50 ea. for a ring for the front and rear. I cut and welded the flat stock to the ring.

There's no way I could cut the ring as cleanly and accurately as the laser can. And it would take forever. It's 3/8" thick.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!