My Jeep stranded me

• Jeep broke down on Saturday and left me stuck over at Super Fresh on Rt. 8 in Dover. :sad: It started acting up a little by the time I got from Magnolia to Rt. 8. Every time I let off the gas the exhaust would sort of putter and backfire slightly. I was gonna stop over at Scotti Muffler (cause I need exhaust) after I dropped off something to my friend over by Super Fresh, but it got to where it won't stay running if you let off the gas. It'll start, but you have to pump the gas every time, and as soon as you let off....dies. Is really rough at low R.P.M. but smooth at high. I bypassed one of the fuel filters, the other I had replaced recently, no effect. I didn't have any tools and i'm not a carb. expert, so wasn't much I could do. I babied it and got it to my friends house around the corner, but it's still sitting there. A friend of mine is gonna try and come take a look around thursday or friday. I'm thinking it's a clogged filter or probably the carb. (3rd one in 6 months). I was also wondering if the exhaust is being restricted and pushing back into the motor....sound possible? If anyone has suggestions of things to check, please feel free to chime in. I've heard the Carbs on jeeps are horrible, was considering the Motorcraft one that i've heard many talk about that a guy sells on eBay, but I really don't want to be out the money I spent on this since it's new. I did just get it, maybe I can return it. I know this Jeep needs a bit of work....I was really hoping to get some summer use out of it, but i'm starting to think that's not gonna happen. :sad:

• I know it didnt happen on a jeep, but when i got my Dodge colt running back in 2003 it did the same thing. I replaced the filter, cleaned the TB but to no avail. I ended ep checking the fuel pump and sure enough 2 hours later and a new fuel pump see fired up and idled smooth. It still may be your Carb, but im just throwing out to check your fuel pump too...may be cheaper than if u replaced ur carb and still had the prob.

Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it&#039;s a 35<br />01 TJ Sahara<br />TJ- 4.0 5spd, 8.8, RE 4.5&quot; lift, RC X-Flex Arms, 1&quot; BL w/ MM Lift, Clayton/JKS Trackbars, 33&#039;s, Rusty&#039;s Rock Bumpers, XRC Sliders, PIAA&#039;s, Delta H4 Conv, CB, Skids<br />Future Mods: Going back to 3&quot; springs with Johnny Joints on all the arms.

• Not sure what year or model Jeep you have but my 98TJ did something similar to that and it was the catalytic converter. Should be easy to test if you just disconnect the exhaust before the cat. Could atleast rule out one thing.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Sorry, it's an 83 CJ7 with a 258. I really do hope it's the catalytic converter, cause I was getting ready to replace that anyway. By the way, does anyone know a good place to get the exhaust pieces cheap, possibly local? I looked on Quadratec and all parts...(front pipe, cat, muffler and tail pipe) come to around $240 shipped. Seems to be the best prices...all Dynomax. I don't want anything custom or fancy, I just want it to be solid. I was hoping to get it to Scotti, cause if they can put something on for less than those parts shipped, i'll just have them do it.

• As far as the idle problem, you probabley have a piece of trash in the idle circut. try this....... remove the air cleaner, have someone get it running for you and keep it running, get a rag like an old tee shirt or something like that. Wad it up in your hand, Have youre buddy rev the engine at a steady 3,000 rpm or so, then cover the carburator inlet wtih the rag,(stuff it over the top and hold it with youre hand) the engine will start to lose rpm and stall, remove rag right before engine stalls, let it wind back up to 3,000 and do it again. At least 3-0r 4 times, the vacumme should suck whatever is in the idle circut out. then it should idle ok. if something is stuck in the idle circut. Qucik and easy carb tune up. If you need help rebuilding the carb let me know.

Tim

I really dont think the Cat is the issue as usually when they plug up they will flow enough to allow idle , but not rpm.

• If you're going through fuel filters that fast I'd drop the tank and clean it out. Go to a marine store and get bilge cleaner. Mix it with near boiling hot water, pour it in the tank and drop a length of chain in as well. Slosh the mix around, dump, and repeat.

A new catalytic converter will cost around $100 and can be had locally. A cheapy muffler is usually $20 or $30. Then just get a piece of straight pipe clamps, and whatever reducers you'll need. The tail pipe is $32 at Quadratech. I just ordered one. :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• A couple years back my husband had a similar problem. After fixing all the obvious..i.e fuel pump, carb, fuel line....etc. $$$ bucks later, it turned out to be a freakin' $24.00 computer chip which is attached to the fuel consumption thingy. It was REALLY frustrating.

• Youre idle circut is plugged. Try what I told you to do above.

Its free! wont cost you a dime!

If that fixes the idle problem, then do what Slimer says and get to the root of the problem and clean the tank.

• Thanks for the responses everyone. My buddy is comin out tomorrow to give me a hand....he's been busy and so have I. Hopefully it will be an easy fix and I can at least get it to my house. I'll post my findings after we're done. I'll definetly give that a shot Hammer, gotta love them no cost fixes. I have plans to replace the tank and fuel lines, hopefully that'll clear up junk in the line issues. Thanks again.

• Quote from "Grim"

Thanks for the responses everyone. My buddy is comin out tomorrow to give me a hand....he's been busy and so have I. Hopefully it will be an easy fix and I can at least get it to my house. I'll post my findings after we're done. I'll definetly give that a shot Hammer, gotta love them no cost fixes. I have plans to replace the tank and fuel lines, hopefully that'll clear up junk in the line issues. Thanks again.

I got a tow strap if you need me to drag it back to Magnolia. :up:

• Well, my friend was unable to make it yesterday to take a look at the Jeep. I went ahead over and tried the tip that Hammer suggested, and while it didn't seem like it was working....after doing it for a while it did start to idle on it's own. It really does sound like it's restricted in the exhaust, I may try to take off the muffler and cat sometime this weekend, if I have the tools to do so, and see if I can rule that in or out. I had to take my other car home first and when I came back to get the jeep, still doing the same thing. I ran the RPMs up for a bit and got it to idle a little, but as soon as I started to drive...start to putter and die when you let off the gas like before. It took some fancy footwork, but I did manage to get it home under it's own power. Shifting 1st and 2nd gear seemed to show the most problems with it wanting to bog down and die, but once I got the RPMs up it quit. Getting up to fourth it seemed to run OK, but I still think it felt a little restricted. At least I got it home and hopefully some progress will be made soon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!