Wheeling in Centralia, PA

• Who cares! Pics are still badass and it still looks like a neat place to go check out.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• Hmm, because of people like me? And I wonder why I haven't become a member of DeJa?... Think we have a winner! It's useless to argue over such a thing. It happened end of story, and as I've said before, I'll most likely venture up there in my truck or on my bike. But you have this idea that because someone didn't obey a sign that our intentions are to destroy what we drive up there. GhostDakota didn't go up there to wheel or rattlecan a piece of already destroyed concrete; he went up there with his Ladyfriend and her friend (I guess) to look around and take some pretty neat shots. Sorry but I'm gonna stick with it and still say I don't see anything wrong.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• Hmm, because of people like me? And I wonder why I haven't become a member of DeJa?... Think we have a winner!

If you are telling us you don't care whether or not you are wheeling legally then we don't want you as a member. This club supports responsible, and legal off roading. We don't want to add to land closures or the bad name off highway driving has been given by some.

It's useless to argue over such a thing. It happened end of story, and as I've said before, I'll most likely venture up there in my truck or on my bike. But you have this idea that because someone didn't obey a sign that our intentions are to destroy what we drive up there.

No, what we are saying is that IF a sign was seen and ignored then there was an intention to wheel illegally. No one said anything about destruction of property. From what I read there are some areas that are marked and some that are not. I didn't catch where someone said that someone purposely drove by a marked area.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• If you are telling us you don't care whether or not you are wheeling legally then we don't want you as a member. This club supports responsible, and legal off roading. We don't want to add to land closures or the bad name off highway driving has been given by some.

Well said John.

We spend a lot of time as a club trying to do a little bit of good and it's an uphill battle because of the actions of a few.

And if our position on illegal (or even "questionable") wheeling keeps you from joining then we maybe can find some comfort in that.

Not bashing anyone here, but we aren't afraid to say what we stand for.

• I agree illegal wheeling shouldn't occur. As previously stated I did not see one sign on any of the trails I drove on. Had I seen one, I would've turned around immediately. There were some on the side of the new Route 61 bypassing the old one, but that was just in the burnt out woods and structures along the road. My g/f's aunt lives in Ashland, 2 miles away from Centralia. We stayed there for the weekend and that's we we ventured to Centralia about 5 times while staying in Ashland. I also HIGHLY recommend Knoebels amusement park. Free parking, free admission. Pay per ride!

http://www.knoebels.com

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

• i have been going to knoebals about twice a year since i was like 3. great place.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• my grand parents worked at knoebels for years... it is a pretty relaxed park... great place for families to take kids as you wont' "waste" money on admission if they dont' like rides....I think BMJA has a picnic there every year.

• I agree illegal wheeling shouldn't occur. As previously stated I did not see one sign on any of the trails I drove on. Had I seen one, I would've turned around immediately. There were some on the side of the new Route 61 bypassing the old one, but that was just in the burnt out woods and structures along the road.

I wasnt busting your balls about going to Centralia.. I love driving through the town and seeing how it has changed in the last 20 or so yrs that I can remember... the "wheeling" thing is a very big issue up alot of people think that the coal lands are just open pits for trash, parties and OHV use... which they arent'.... as far as I know the only "legal" wheeling is on the reading anthracite land... which is closer to mt caramel

• Considering how popular a place it is to visit, I would think the state or local authorities would have installed some sort of sign if they thought it was dangerous or just wanted people to stay out.

As long as we're on the subject, does anyone know of any public lands up there where you can just go and ride, but not exactly wheeling? Like fireroads or anything?

• I've been through Centralia about 20 years ago. It was neat to drive through. I think that was before some bypass was built?

It's really a shame that underground fire ruined the town.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• As long as we're on the subject, does anyone know of any public lands up there where you can just go and ride, but not exactly wheeling? Like fireroads or anything?

I'm sure the local hunters know where to go.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The roads I was on were "logging roads" and "fire roads" according to my GPS. There's nothing crazy special, it's just trails with tons of loose gravel/rocks. EXTREMELY bumpy ride.

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

• They'll take you to some scenic areas though I'm sure. That can be just as enjoyable some times.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Bradford County, PA. Go there.

As long as we're on the subject, does anyone know of any public lands up there where you can just go and ride, but not exactly wheeling? Like fireroads or anything?

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• I agree illegal wheeling shouldn't occur. As previously stated I did not see one sign on any of the trails I drove on. Had I seen one, I would've turned around immediately. There were some on the side of the new Route 61 bypassing the old one, but that was just in the burnt out woods and structures along the road. My g/f's aunt lives in Ashland, 2 miles away from Centralia. We stayed there for the weekend and that's we we ventured to Centralia about 5 times while staying in Ashland. I also HIGHLY recommend Knoebels amusement park. Free parking, free admission. Pay per ride!

http://www.knoebels.com

I've been there a few time with some other boards. We stopped going because it is off limits. The quarry up there will sell you a permit to wheel but it is expensive. I drove through last year after a RC trip just to show some friends. There is a really interesting cemetary there. The people that still live there are squatters and there are signs specifically saying to stay off of the caved in section of old 61 where you have posted pics of your vehicle. They even built dirt mounds to keep people from driving on it. You had to drive over them.

• I've been there a few time with some other boards. We stopped going because it is off limits. The quarry up there will sell you a permit to wheel but it is expensive. I drove through last year after a RC trip just to show some friends. There is a really interesting cemetary there. The people that still live there are squatters and there are signs specifically saying to stay off of the caved in section of old 61 where you have posted pics of your vehicle. They even built dirt mounds to keep people from driving on it. You had to drive over them.

Mmmhmm - Reading Anthracite sells a permit - $100 for the calendar year Jan 1st to December 31st.

Negative regarding signs to stay off the highway. There is not 1 sign stating to stay off that portion of the highway. The only signs that have been posted are WARNING you of the dangers of possible mine subsidence as well as the poisonous gasses. I've been to Centralia multiple times over the last several years and have not once seen at "No Trespassing" sign on either side of the closed portion of Route 61.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!