• With the latest droid release you may still need to install an third party Pop application, for the current versions do not allow successful SMTP authentication.

K9mail would be recommended.

• With the latest droid release you may still need to install an third party Pop application, for the current versions do not allow successful SMTP authentication.

K9mail would be recommended.

For what ?

And Droid is a phone. Android is the OS.

• For proper SMTP authentication lol. Depending on your mail provider you may need this authentication method to send outgoing emails.

• AT&T blocks outgoing SMTP so it's not at issue for me. hehe But the encrypted SMTP from Gmail is ok, and the custom port I have on my dedicated server for my personal email bypasses it, too. :D

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• AT&T blocks outgoing SMTP so it's not at issue for me. hehe But the encrypted SMTP from Gmail is ok, and the custom port I have on my dedicated server for my personal email bypasses it, too. :D

Since when?

[img width=533 height=800]http://www.theslowandthestupid…Id=6386&g2_serialNumber=1[/img]

That'd be retarded on AT&T's part as 99.9% of iphone users use smtp for outgoing mail...

--Ian

• Anyone running launcherpro. I was thinking about getting it just don't knowanything about it.

Droid x 2.2

i'm using launcherpro on Droid. before the release of 2.2, i would have strongly recommended it. but 2.2 is quite similar, so now it's more of a 'maybe'. you can still try it, though. after you download it, when you touch 'home', a dialogue box will appear asking whether you want to use the android launcher or launcherpro. choose launcherpro but DON"T check 'use as default for this action'. this way, you can switch between 2.2 and launcherpro whenever you touch 'home'. if you like launcherpro, choose 'use as default' and you're done. if you don't like it, uninstall it.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• *doh* sorry, I was thinking of when I'm using wifi at home. stupid verizon blocks it. Disregard. lol

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Running ADW launcher here...gets the job done...haven't messed with launcherpro.

any noticeable difference in speed compared to the 2.2 launcher? launcherpro can be a little slower.
    maybe i'll load ADW, too, just to try it. i'll run three launchers :rolleyes: and compare to see which i like best. then i should probably settle on one :doh:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• any noticeable difference in speed compared to the 2.2 launcher? launcherpro can be a little slower.
    maybe i'll load ADW, too, just to try it. i'll run three launchers :rolleyes: and compare to see which i like best. then i should probably settle on one :doh:

I never actually ran the stock 2.2 launcher. I rooted/custom rom'd/overclocked with 2.2 before VzW deployed. It's noticeably faster but it's not really an apples to apples comparison. If you haven't rooted yet I'd really consider doing it, ask Ian how well the Droid's wifi tethering works.

• If you haven't rooted yet I'd really consider doing it, ask Ian how well the Droid's wifi tethering works.

X2. Geoff, are you using setCPU for Root? It seems to be helping battery life more so than anything else I've tried. Could be the Placebo effect though but it seems to work well.

EDIT: and Titanium back-up is another great Root app.

• Yes, using setCPU. Only overclocking from 550->800. I know guys running custom kernels pushing it up to 1Ghz. Are you overclocking for perf or underclocking for battery?

Verizon announced the Droid Pro yesterday. Looks like they are aiming to convert some bb users. They also have an announcement coming today re: LTE. Seems like they are going to have some 4G goodness soon.

• Yes, using setCPU. Only overclocking from 550->800. I know guys running custom kernels pushing it up to 1Ghz. Are you overclocking for perf or underclocking for battery?

Mine scales on demand through auto detect. The range is from 245 min to 998 max. I get the benefits of underclocking until I actually need the processing power. There are also custom profiles I can set up (battery save, performance, etc.) but so far I haven't found the need to use them.

• anyone using a contact manager app that's better than the weak android one?

~ JD

• *doh* sorry, I was thinking of when I'm using wifi at home. stupid verizon blocks it. Disregard. lol

Verizon, Comcast, Cox, Roadrunner all like to block the default port of 25 without telling their customers. Pisses me off, but most emails servers will have an alternate SMTP port that those ISPs will usually leave alone. Unless your a spammer!

• Without reading through ten pages has anyone succesfully found a hack to enable the WIFI hotspot w/out paying sprint? Im speaking of the EVO

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!