Brake Stuck

• Sooooo,

I was driving around today wasting gas and on the way back I noticed something strange. I have a stuck right/front caliper. Slightly pulling to the right driving, hard pull to the left stopping. Came home, shot the temp gun. 300* on that brake. 110*-125* on the rest. I tried to move the tire. I could move it but it took a lot of effort.

What would cause a sudden stick like this? It acts like its stuck in the middle. Not released, and not compressed. Once its cooled down, I'm gunna take it apart and compress the piston (if I can.) Hopefully that fixes it for this weekend. I should probably replace the calipers after that.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• Bad caliper. You'll need to open the bleed valve and wedge caliber back to release the rotor. They replace the caliper or rebuild it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Bad caliper. You'll need to open the bleed valve and wedge caliber back to release the rotor. They replace the caliper or rebuild it.

Yeah. I guess it just suddenly went bad. Bad timing. Hopefully I can get away with not changing them till next week.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• Its easy enough to change them out. Should only take you a few hours toos

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Examine the hose closely too. Once the OEM hoses break down they will collapse internally and limit the flow of brake fluid and eventually act like a one-way check valve. Meaning you can overcome the closed hose with force from your master cylinder and push the fluid to the caliper. But when you let off the pedal the fluid can't return and it keeps the caliper in the same position....which slowly is riding the brakes...which then starts heating up...which then causes slight expansion since the hose has collapsed...which will apply the brake more - it's a vicious cycle.

Just thought I'd mention it as it is more common than people realize on older OEM hoses. Good luck!

• Like said above check the brake hoses over good and if you replace calipers replace them both.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• I believe this culprit is the bad caliper. But the hoses are sorry looking. They are going to get replaced with the caliper.

I compressed the piston and it seems to be working for now. I change all that stuff next week.

• This happened to me out of the blue last summer. Left side seized up on the highway and was downright sketchy to get home. So yes they can go bad right away like that. It's a quick cheap swap as mentioned above though.

• bring the parts to the park ... ?

I could do that. I just know that I don't have time tomorrow.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!