yeah, the website was hacked

• sorry, it was hacked after I left for the fishing tournament.

the only things that I can tell were lost is the "footer" at the bottom of the site with the links and the club mailing address. and, the menu on the left is weird.

this isn't related to what happened yesterday, and the new site will not be easy to hack like the current site is.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• no prob :) let me know if you have any problems with the site.

sometime tomorrow, I'll get the new site finished and running... tired of fixing this site after it gets hacked. (hoping the bored Turkish kid "hacker" doesn't check the site again while I'm sleeping)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• thanks Jerry....

yea, for those of you who don't know....i found the site hacked about 7:30am....only a hour or so after he left....

I guess around 9:30 Jerry called me back and he walked me through shutting down the site so he can work on it later...

Good job jerry

:throwpc:

• jerry great job getting us back up and running.

but if he hacked into our site and membership information was stolen .....does this pose a problem for idenity theft ??

• Quote from "joo"

yea, for those of you who don't know....i found the site hacked about 7:30am....only a hour or so after he left....

actually, i was online on deja at 6:10 or so when it went down. i was freaking out cause i thought something i did caused it to crash. i can't wait to get that new software up and running - sounds like once the bugs are worked out it'll be much less maintenance intensive.
    chris :peace:

• Quote from "blackflag"

jerry great job getting us back up and running.

but if he hacked into our site and membership information was stolen .....does this pose a problem for idenity theft ??

the group that look like it was hacking the site (at least as far as I saw from the outside) doesn't really go after information ussually, only to create havok and prove that sites are insecure. A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous and some people feel the need to show there coding "muscle" off.

It's kinda like walking down the street and bashing your neighbors mailbox with a bat, just because you can.

Thanks Jerry for dealing with this, can't wait to see the new site.

• Is there anyway we can "PUSH" back legally?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

Is there anyway we can "PUSH" back legally?

Not easy.

The few systems we had hacked at my last job we spent days searching log files, and scripts to trace it back to someone. These groups are usually able to cover their tracks well. It also starts a larger process of getting the right people to care that your website has been hacked. A lot of hacking goes international and it is unfourtante but most of the people that can do something about it either don't completely understand it or just don't care unless its a large company that has been hacked.

Hacking PHP, Perl, SQL and such (which is what the current software is on, not sure what Jerry has planned for the next software) is a hobby for some people with too much time on their hands. They are rarely caught and rarely face any serious charges if caught. It is really not something you can completely protect yourself against either.

BTW: Jerry, what software are you using for the new site?

• the logs don't show that any user account info was viewed. looks like he used an automatic hacking tool to do it. all it had to do was use a security hole in the website software to replace the page header and footers with his redirect code. the user info is stored in the forum, he only accessed the main page.

legally, isn't much we can do... if he lived in the USA, we could really go after him. but he doesn't.

Jerry / Whatevah

• i have the site it forwarded to on my computer, saved it for reasons of course.

I viewed there site, and its a group that does it. There's no way to register for there forum or anything like that...and they are def. outside the US....

It was one guy, and i noticed in there forum he posted recently under "website attacks"....

thankfully Jerry was able to get FTP on my computer and he was able to talk me through shutting it down.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!