ARB Air Locker or Auburn Ected

• I know there is a big dicussion that Ed started about the lunchbox style lockers, and I am now looking for a locker, question is what type. I plan on putting locker in the front of the KJ as it will help keep the front diff from exploding by helping to lessen the shock loading on the diff.

My question is which one, what type. I was looking before at the No Slip, but I am looking to keep the on road drivability so I think I want to go with a selectable locker either the ARB Air locker or the Auburn Ected. Any opinions on either one as a front locker?

There are a lot of KJ running the ARB's out west for many years now without a diff failure. Just thought I would see what everyone's thoughts on the two lockers were.

Thanks

• Unless the Libby has full-time 4WD, even with a full-time locker like the LockRight the on-road characteristics will not change except for the clicking noise.

And sometimes you do not evenget he click. The front driveshaft does not spin while in 2wd, therefore the front will technically not be locked. They do put and so on while turning in 4wd and sometimes in 2wd, but tht is nothing but the plates doing their jobs.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• I looked at the OX locker, but they were more expensive than both the ARB and the Ected. They are nice and simple though, not to many ways the cable can fail other then breaking or getting gummed up with dirt. The No Slip and the Loc Rite are a nice way to go and wont affect the front diff while in 2wd, but is still wears on the front end components and tires. The front axles and shafts will still turn unless you have a full floating front axles and can unlock the front hubs. Then the front axle and drive shaft will not turn while in 2wd.

• i spent a while trying to find the perfect locker for me and came down to the ected and the arb. I went arb , you hear one or 2 people say there lines freeze or rip but most are more then happy with them. I picked up the heavy duty lines and i cant see them ripping easy.

the ected are nice and half the price but not as time tested yet , and i didnt want lsd when i wasnt locked. its a hard choice and either way you getting the best of both worlds.

I just cant wait to have eveything installed so i can test the arbs out,

• Who is doing your install. One of my biggest concerns is the install of the diff, either finding a friend with the know how and the tools or finding a good shop that wont charge me an arm and a leg to do the install.

I dont know how much holly oak would charge to install an arb or and ected in the libby. I need to read up on how hard it would be to access the front diff or to take out the center section and work on it on a bench.

Nice thing about the ected is they come with a new diff cover so I wouldnt have to drill a hole through the diff.

• "Nice thing about the ected is they come with a new diff cover so I wouldnt have to drill a hole through the diff."

Are you sure the ECHTED does. I know the OX does, but I have 2 ECHTED at Holly Oak right now and I'm pretty sure they didn't come with Dif covers. Atleast if they did I need to sell the 2 new Blue torch Fab works difs that I'm painting now at my house.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I'm not sure what the brake down prices are. He gave me a total for everything I'm having done.

Give him a call I'm sure he'll hook you up. :up:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• holly oak is going to be doing mine as well, not sure on he install price but they are always good and the work is perfect. he's done just about every mod to my jeep besides my tire carrier,gas and steering skid. every jobs been perfect at a good price and done pretty fast, i would highly recommend hollyoak to anyone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!