What are the best axles?

• I have an 04 Saraha and I'm slowly but surely doing mods. I'm looking to upgrade axles and gears. Assuming I plan to run large/wide tires in the future, what should I be looking for? I'm not opposed to spending $$ to get it right but don't want to get something now and have to upgrade later. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

• Dana 44s are the most popular because they are relatively tough and compact. Ford 9" are also good, as is a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer (for the rear).

If you aren't afraid of spending money there are a lot of options open. The size of the tire you plan on running will dicatate the best option for you. If you're not planning on going over 35" tires then I'd probably go with Dana 44s front and back as Omaha is currently planning (see his post in this forum at http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=10585.0 ). If you are going much bigger in tires then you might look at a Dana 60 front and 18 bolt rear (seems to be a popular choice from what I've read).

You could also just pony up the bills and by custom made axles from Currie or one of the other big companies. It will be less work by you but probably more money in the long run. If I had an unlimited supply of cash that's what I'd do.

There will be a lot involved since you're coil sprung.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• what is the best color what is the best beer.... what we need to know is what you want to do with the jeep what kind of wheeler are you. is your moto when in doubt throttle out or is it when I cant crawl it I will pull winch line. the best type of axle to go with is a 1 ton axle for of road the best daily driver/ weekend wheeler axle is dana 30 with cromos or a 44 with cromos front and a 8.8 rear with after market shafts if you are taking it to the mall and gwnf leave it alone

• You all know Toyota axles are way stronger than any 60 ::) :innocent:

Is that BMF24 logged in as turtle? :innocent:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• actually i am looking at ford 9's and dana 60's now but i am still thinking.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Thanks for all the advice. Now i'm really confused. Sounds like (with everything else Jeep) there's a balance to find between on and off road performance. Currently, I don't do an extensive amount of off-roading. I'm hoping to change that early next year when the Jeep becomes a 3rd vehicle. Right now I drive alot on the street and plan to continue that..............I love driving it. That being said, my personality is definitely ride hard, throttle out. That's why I won't get into anything serious until I have a backup vehicle - - - I know I'm going to tear s^#T up.

• wheel it til it breaks and get a feel for what you want to do. When you break your axels, then buy new ones...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Wheeling a daily driver hard, especially if you have no other mode of transportation available, is a gamble at best.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Wheeling a daily driver hard, especially if you have no other mode of transportation available, is a gamble at best.

That's half the thrill, it's only fun if there is the constant thought in the back of your head that says "o sh*t I need to get to work tommorow".

At least twice I had to find alternate transportation to work on Monday :-\

• That's half the thrill, it's only fun if there is the constant thought in the back of your head that says "o sh*t I need to get to work tommorow".

At least twice I had to find alternate transportation to work on Monday :-\

This is why I have AAA plus.....like The Mistaken told me ( cuz i haven't had to use it) it cost $35 bucks o get it towed home from one of the parks.

• This is why I have AAA plus.....like The Mistaken told me ( cuz i haven't had to use it) it cost $35 bucks o get it towed home from one of the parks.

Yeah, I picked up AAA, it cost me like $42 to get a tow home for RC, but be careful, you can only use it like 4 times a year then you pay a discount rate for the full towing milage (A friend found out the hard way).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!