alternator issues...

• I'm just wondering what some people have done or if they have had any issues about there alternator going alittle funky or lossing it after wheeling? Mine is muddy as hell and now the regulator is acting alittle funky, it has been bounceing between 12 and 14 volts....... Mike

• Mine is muddy as hell

I'd bet that was the trouble right there. From what I understand, Xterras have alternator issues because the alternator sits low and gets dunked in the mudd and water when off roading. There also seems to be a common issue with members in this club to have alternator issues after off roading in the Pine Barrens (deep gritty muddy water).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• yeah thats where I have been wheeling is in the Pine Barrens... it seems to be acting alittle better now, but I don't want to trust it and then have it go... has anyone figured a way to block the water or is the alternators on these truck durable enough to handle getting dunked in the water and mud? Mike

• Wouldn't the WD40 catch fire?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I just thought that it may work cause i know that when i have my explorer and went mudding if i sucked up some water through the intake, the motor would shut down cause the MAF sensor got wet so i just spraied some wd40 on it to help repel the water and was fine.

• is that the original alternator? you might have gotten it wet and cracked the housing on the regulator or warped part of it.. that could cause the housing to take water in.. the housing its self is sealed and sometimes the diodes can wear out when heated and cooled quickley by immersing in water.. how many miles on the alternator.. mine on the 94 YJ i 4 banger quit about 150000 miles.. it started putting out not quite correct voltage.. it would read 12- 14 volts with the battery connected it was actually putting out less. the battery was carrying the load.. witch can wear out the battery quick.. pull it and have pep boys bench test it.. that would be my solution
    Rob
    HTH

• My Jeep's alternator has 291k and I've replaced the brushes in it twice (with used brushes). Mines been submerged more times than I can count, every time it quits working if a good soaking with the garden hose and a couple light taps with a hammer didn't straighten it out another set of brushes did. As long as the bearings aren't noisy I wouldn't replace the whole alternator, but that's just me.

• You're the second person I know that would think about just replacing the brushes. :laughabove:

Aren't they a pain to change? Anytime I ever tried taking apart an electric motor (out of curiosity) the first thing that shoots out are the spring loaded brushes. :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• its possible that you have gotten some forgien material inbetween the brushes and the armature. if youstop at an electrical supply company ask for some contact cleanetr. buy 2 cans

unhook your serpentine belt and spray through the openings with the contact cleaner while slowly turning the pulley.make at least coulpe of revelutions this should help force the objects out of the brushes. you don't have too unhook the battery the contact cleaner does noy conduct elec.

be-advised DO NOT SPRAY ON PLASTIC OR PAINT

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!