31's on 15x7?

• I want to upgrade my sad 30x9.5's to marginally larger 31x10.5's. My question is can I put a 31x10.5 tire on my stock 15x7 rim? Is this safe? Are there any issues or problems to consider? Is back space an issue on the stock 15x7s? I am wondering because I don't see it much but I don't understand why? Please fill me in.

Thanks,
    Steve

• I think you should be fine.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have my 13.5" wide tires on 15 x 8 rims, so you should probably be OK.

However, you should probably think about what you plan to be doing with your jeep. Mine is primarily for off-road use, and the tight fit on the beads help the tire stay on at low inflation. With the tire bulging farther out past the rim, you should theoretically experience less rock rash on the rims (not that I can confirm that - I still have plenty!).

If I were to use the jeep more regularly on the road, I would have gone with a 15 x 10 rim because it would provide a more stable ride on the road. If you're going to be using your jeep mainly on-road, you may want to think about a 15 x 8 rim.

Regardless, you probably won't feel much difference between 7" and 8" wide rims.

• Quote from "BlueJ"

Regardless, you probably won't feel much difference between 7" and 8" wide rims.

i'd have to agree with much of the above info - aside from this part. i had my 31"s on stock wheels (first tj) and then went to 8" wide aluminums with just a slightly smaller backspacing. there was a day/night difference in handling on the road. can't speak for offroad capabilities since that tj didn't see much action on the trails. but on the road it was 10 times more rocksolid handling with the 1" wider wheels. fwiw.
    chris

• Thanks for the insight, the my Jeep is on the road 95% of the time and I drive my 4 banger like a sports car, is it is probably worth saving for the 15x8 I know I would appreciate the added stability. Anybody got a set of 5 -15x8's they are looking to get rid of? I am not a fan of the black D spoke wagon wheels but I would consider anything else.

• Maaaaaaaaah!!!!!! Seeeeeee!!!!! I told you to get 31's copper!!! You will be fine with the 15x7, may rub a little at full lock. My 31x11.00 swampers were on my 15x7's on the CJ before and were fine. You can probably find someone selling the TJ Canyon 15x8's around.

• I'm currently running 31's on stock tj steel rims and have also had some tire rub at full steer lock left & right on the trail have had no issues with clearance problems

05 unlimited rubicon teraflex long arm kit poison spyder rocker guards 35" pro comp extreme mud terrains

• 31x10.50 on stock wheels with 1" body lift only rub is at full lock and if I'm driving and have to turn the wheel that hard I've got other much more serious problems than rub.

• It has 1" body lift and a modified MORE shackle reverse which moves the front axle forward and down 1". Just havn't gotten round to turning the stop bolts.

• hssss, I thought that style of stock wheel on your Jeep was 15x8?

The tip about the steering stop is great, I honestly never knew you could adjust that.

Yes my Jeep does have a 1.25" shackle lift and if I go with 31's I will be adding a 1"inch body lift anyway for extra clearance but my question wasn't about whether or not the tires would fit or rub. I was asking if it was a safety issues or a problem to mount 31's on a 7" wide rim.

I am more worried about it being a detriment to the handling of my Jeep than whether or not if it is possible.

Thanks,
    Steve

• That style of wheel is at best 15x7 if not 6 or 6.5, I don't have one broken down to measure. The handling is just fine. The rule of thumb is +- 1" of the tread width for best handling. If you are going to off road then you want a narrower rim so the tire protects the rim. The taller your sidewall the worse the handling or turn response. I'm building a crawler/dd using a Bronco as base the tires going on it are 35x12.50x16 they are mounted on 16x8 and fit just right the actual tred width is 10".

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!