soft top leaking

• I noticed when I got to work this morning that the top of my back seat was wet in the jeep, really wet. I have an 04 TJ with factory top. Directly above the seat is the back support bar and a seam in the top but I couldn't see any tear or anything on the inside or outside. The top did feel damp on the inside i can't figure out where that much water would be coming from. I've had the thing for over a year and this is the first time I've noticed it.

Is this a common problem? Guess I'll have look a little better when I get home and out of this shirt and tie.

• check the side and back windows to make sure that they are all seated in the correct positions and zipped right. I did the same thing one time and got all pissed off and ready to order a new top, and then i noticed that the rear window zipper was half undone somehow...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• I think i may have a similar problem except i think on mine either the rear window or the rear door is leaking. This morning the carpet was so wet that i drug my hand across it and got some water out of it. Any ideas? Could it be the seal around the door has gona bad. mine too is an 04.

• ...but usually oil.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• My 03 soft top is also leaking. There aren't "tears" in the fabric, but places where it looks like it's been stretched too tightly and the fabric seperates just a tiny bit. I'm planning on sealing it up with some tent sealant once the rain stops this weekend. I wouldn't say it's uncommon. I'm assuming the top is a wear & tear item and wouldn't be covered under warranty.

• You all need to drive a CJ or a YJ for a year or so. A TJ is like a Bentley in comparison.

been there done that
    had a cj7 for a year and a half

fwiw has a stitching problem that would cause it to leak
    my black top has a small pin hole in it from a trail ride

the stitching may be under warranty it thats where its leaking from
    guess that would depend on ur service department guy tho

• Thanks for the input, wouldn't really be a big deal but the leak is right wear my 5 year old sits. That's not cool.

• yup, 2 boys actually. 5 and 2..................hence why I have yet to make a meeting or trail ride. but I swear I will sooner or later

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!