• There are OTHER options but I'm not sure they are better.

On the MEMBER PERK standpoint, it would be a nice benefit and make us different from other club websights. The moderators would justify the content, just as they would any links to Youtube or the other video hosting sights.

My thought was to have the capability of having our own TRAIL run videos hosted, not just copies of what we see elsewhere. If we had the capability it may initiate the desire for people to film their own trail expeditions.

I like that idea..
    i saw this jeep club page...
    http://marylandrockraiders4x4club.com/index.html
    they have something like john was talking about..
    they also agreed to post up the jeeps for joy poster!! :tup:
    and the pres is a cool guy

• they also agreed to post up the jeeps for joy poster!! :tup:
    and the pres is a cool guy

What'd you expect from my "Wolf Brother"? Tico Carreras is a heck of a nice guy. :up:

As far as hosting vid's I think it's a cool idea, but if it's gonna slow down the web site I'll vote against it.

• I was thinking that, in light of the proposed dues raise, that the sight could be upgraded with more space somehow so that it WON'T slow down.

I'm not that computer savy so I'm sure it's not that easy.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• As someone who also has some experience with website hosting, and making and getting videos hosted, here's some additional considerations:

1) There is a difference in 'user experience quality' from dedicated sites like Youtube and Google, and an add-on for a portal website system like DeJA has. The dedicated sites have put serious development time into streamlining the upload, compression, management, and playback integration. You're probably not going to get that level of quality from a portal plug-in

2) Bandwidth is a serious issue. Even if the videos were kept small, one of the main things that has made video-sharing so addictive is just that, sharing. Once videos get posted on other sites, if they are big hits due to content, you could all of the sudden have 1000's of people watching it and crashing our servers. Bandwidth at the video level is not as cheap as you might think when you start running the numbers.

3) Youtube & Google are free and work very very well once you've tried it. And they allow external embedding everywhere, so the videos you upload, you don't have to limit it to only showing on DeJA (if that was the solution to #2), you can throw it up on your myspace, facebook, spaces, whatever. I know personally I wouldn't upload anywhere if it wasn't externally embeddable because I share my vids with everyone I know.

One thing that would be beneficial is a tutorial on video editing so that regardless of where you host your videos, you can make them as appealing as possible. I would be more than willing to help with that effort.

Here's some samples of my work so far.

(Hopefully soon I'm getting a copy of Adobe Premiere to step it up a couple notches!)

• Thanks for the input. Based on what you said, I withdraw my original question. :innocent:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• As someone who also has some experience with website hosting, and making and getting videos hosted, here's some additional considerations:

1) There is a difference in 'user experience quality' from dedicated sites like Youtube and Google, and an add-on for a portal website system like DeJA has. The dedicated sites have put serious development time into streamlining the upload, compression, management, and playback integration. You're probably not going to get that level of quality from a portal plug-in

2) Bandwidth is a serious issue. Even if the videos were kept small, one of the main things that has made video-sharing so addictive is just that, sharing. Once videos get posted on other sites, if they are big hits due to content, you could all of the sudden have 1000's of people watching it and crashing our servers. Bandwidth at the video level is not as cheap as you might think when you start running the numbers.

These are my TWO biggest concerns. I think that the video would just give us a lot of work....and a lot of trouble.

• I think after seeing all the hurdles to cross in this.. i think video is not the best thing for us to add at this time.. but could we group our video's under a single youtube user? or place a sticky (i know that evil thing) containing links to those videos (just trail ride ones...) or perhaps put it in the links section..
    I just am thinking about stuff that we as a club do.. not outside videos.. it would be nice to find all of them easily.. that way prospective members could see what we do.. i know that the club with land in Delmar has a similar section of videos from down there..
    just wondering.. not trying to beat a dead horse...
    Rob

• I think the current forum topics will do well enough without having stickies, or single threads. Trails runs get posted in Trails Runs and Gatherings, Tech Video can go in Jeep Talk, ect. I don't think we currently have a problem with video's so I wouldn't really think it would require a whole new section or much work.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just my opinion, and like I stated before, if anyone needs space to post a video of a DEJA releated trail run PM me for a FTP account.

• If anything we need to find out if these boards will let us embed videos into threads *cough*jerry*cough* ;) That would be truly useful.

• the forum software doesn't allow it... yet. :) I'll see if I can beat it into submission tonight or tomorrow. I won't be home until 10pm tonight, so... prolly tomorrow.

I don't think that a single youtube account is a good option, anybody could post or delete anything. plus maintaining the passwords and such would be a pain.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• [youtube=425,350]RXT34RQVEaU[/youtube]
    here goes nothin...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• ok, as you can see above... :) I installed the plugin to show YouTube vids in a post. if you reply using the full reply screen (not the "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the page) you'll see a new icon for YouTube. click on it, and it'll give ya some coding.

Code
    [youtube=425,350][/youtube]

in the middle of that, insert the identifier from youtube for the video. for example:

Code
    [youtube=425,350]RXT34RQVEaU[/youtube]

that will show the video I posted. to find the identifer, look at the full webpage link (example:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ) and copy the section after "v=". it sounds complicated, but it's really not. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• ok, as you can see above... :) I installed the plugin to show YouTube vids in a post. if you reply using the full reply screen (not the "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the page) you'll see a new icon for YouTube. click on it, and it'll give ya some coding.

Code
    [youtube=425,350][/youtube]

in the middle of that, insert the identifier from youtube for the video. for example:

Code
    [youtube=425,350]RXT34RQVEaU[/youtube]

that will show the video I posted. to find the identifer, look at the full webpage link (example:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ) and copy the section after "v=". it sounds complicated, but it's really not. :)

Nice work Jerry, you freaking rock!

• just making sure that the google video plugin works

[gvideo=400,326]-6412364036569500539[/gvideo]

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!