Question about CB's and orange flags in GWNF

• Hey everyone.
    This weekend at GWNF will be my first trail run. After realizing it is only 2 days away, i am scrambling around to get stuff ready for it. After consulting the list of things needed for trail runs, i have a few questions...

CB RADIO'S - I have a cell phone but I know it wont work in the forest - can anyone make any recommendations for brands etc... Anything at all as i have never even considered using one until this weekend.

ORANGE FLAGS - how necessary is it for this weekend. I can attach an orange shirt to a big stick and attach that to my jeep if i need to but I wouldnt even be able to guess where I could pick one up except for Paragon which is totally out of the question.

Finally, does anyone know where i can pick up a small fire extinguisher? Ive seen them that attach to the roll cage on other jeeps but cant find one small enough or with the mounting straps.

Thanks everyone. Sorry if some of these questions seem silly, but like I said, I'm new....:wavey:

Thanks!
    Matt Jervis :fett:

• fire extinguisher: go to a boating store. they have small ones with the mounting bracket already or you can use giat hose clamps.

CB: radio shack has a small one for around 40 bucks if you want to buy one.

Michael Slotwinski (SLINKY)
    1993 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
    http://www.firststatecorvairclub.com
    1999 Powerwheels Babrie Jeep Currently driven by my daughter
    Hey you were at the WalMart Speed Bump Climb in 1999? you were the one with the winch, right?

• Fire extinguisher You can pick up @ most hardware store or most auto part stores. The one you get, Make sure it is A.B.C. listed to fight all types of fires. I have mine mntd on the floor of the drivers side just to the left of the seat. As for a CB, I got mine @ walmart for about 40bucks. They normally carry all the needed equip. to go w/ it . That will run you about 25-30 bucks. As for the flag try a bicycle shop or atv shop some times they carry them. Just make sure it is taller than the roof line on the Jeep. Very nessacary It lets everyone else where you are.

• Matty

Excellent choice for a 1st run!! We're going to have a great time this weekend.

I'm not all that familiar with Dover, but if there's a Sears Hardware nearby, you can get one there, or even check Walmarts (that's how my Mom says it :roll: ). I got a small one at Sears Hardware and it also came with a bracket, maybe $20?

For the CB, not sure down there. Radio Shack is probably a good bet as Mike said, for a cheaper one. You don't need to talk to people in Tennessee with it. If you're only planning on using it on trail rides, you'll be able to hear just fine when you're in the group. Just be sure to get an antenna that goes above the metal tub of your Jeep (not sure what you have), and the right length coax cable, it can be coiled up under the carpeting. If you're lucky Chris will bring his antenna tuner thingy with him to adjust it for you.

The orange flag is not necessary for this trip, it's just a requirement at Paragon.

• Thanks everyone.
    Holy crap you guys are awesome. Its only been like 20 minutes and already 3 replies.
    I checked out a few cb's online at radio shack and it looks like i'm good to go on that end. I guess i was wondering how necessary they were - will i actually be using it ?
    Everything else sounds good, thanks again!

• Pick up a CB and antenna from radio shack over the weekend for about 70 bucks. The Radio Shack in the Dover Mall had several of the $39 specials CBs.

• bud,
    the fire extinguisher you're looking for is $9.95 at lowes. it's on the end of a row facing the checkout lanes. i've gone through 3 now putting out vehicle fires...very effective :) (none on trail rides though :doh: )
    chris

p.s. if you want me to bring my swr meter along to tune your cb just let me know.

• Yeah Chris, thanks, that would be great if you could bring it. What exactly does it do. I am completely clueless to the world of cb radios. Im heading over to Radio Shack tomorrow after work to pick up the radio and antenna and hoping i can get it installed for this weekend. Thanks Again,
    Matt

• Quote from "matty427"

Yeah Chris, thanks, that would be great if you could bring it. What exactly does it do. I am completely clueless to the world of cb radios. Im heading over to Radio Shack tomorrow after work to pick up the radio and antenna and hoping i can get it installed for this weekend. Thanks Again,
    Matt

It's used to tune (adjust) the antenna for best match.

The lower the SWR the better the radio will perform.

• Chris:

I just put a CB in the XJ a couple of weeks ago. If you could show me how too tune it that would be great.

• Quote from "matty427"

Thanks everyone.
    Holy crap you guys are awesome. Its only been like 20 minutes and already 3 replies.

I will say the members here MAKE this club! You won't find a better group of people sharing a common interest who will treat you like a friend from the word GO. The trail rides and events are that much fun just because of the company.

And as a bonus, if you ever forget anyone's name at an event, you can just call them "Chris", and there's a 64.8% chance you'll be right! Play the numbers!!

I checked out a few cb's online at radio shack and it looks like i'm good to go on that end. I guess i was wondering how necessary they were - will i actually be using it ?

The CB is not COMPLETELY necessary, but it makes the trail ride (and often the trip there and back) much more enjoyable. Those without CB's often missout on lots of "witty banter". Plus, it's real handy on the trails for keeping the group together (we try to have the lead and tail Jeep have one), and to give a heads up on anything ahead on the trail. Definitely a plus to have really.

• I missed out on this thread. I'm on for 9 hours a day, and when I log off out come the questions I can answer...

Just to add... the SWR meter is only going to be useful if you get a tunable antenna. If you're looking for antenna's, see if there's a screw thing up on the top of it (it may be under a plastic cap). That's what you twist to adjust the length of the antenna and "tune" it to work best at your most commonly used frequency (we usually use low channels, 4 on the road). Tunable antennas are usually just a bit more expensive than non-tunable ones (but probably worth the extra $).

Also, someone said to coil the excess coax cable. From what I understand, this is a no-no and causes interference or cooties or something. If you have extra cable, do it up in a big figure 8 under the carpeting.

And we'll worry about flags when we get you to Paragon! Until then, just keep an eye on the jeep ahead of you. Have fun this weekend!

• If you don't have one, dont worry, we all stay pretty close together. I will have a couple handhelds that I keep in the Jeep and that we take camping. You can use one of those if you need to.

• I bought a hand held CB, but it didn't work inside the KJ because of the metal roof (by the way...who bought that from me? Did you get it to work?), bought another as a kit with a magnetic mount antenna, it works great. I keep it in the armrest until trail rides come along. If I had it to do over, I'd get one like Quadna's, all the controls are in the mic, and the box is hidden out of site. Ebay is the place if you got the time.

DrJ

• Quote from "BlueJ"

Also, someone said to coil the excess coax cable. From what I understand, this is a no-no and causes interference or cooties or something. If you have extra cable, do it up in a big figure 8 under the carpeting.

that was me, and you are correct. I didn't clarify that very well. I didn't mean to bunch it up in a coil. Mine is weaved back and forth under the carpeting in the back.

• Quote from "KJ04"

That is the type I plan to get, Radioshack has them for about $110 bucks. I also want the antenna that mounts to the glass like a cell phone antenna because I dont want to drill into the side of the car.

i got mine from ebay (the 75wxST) and only payed $79.99...just a thought. oh, and the glass mount ones don't work as well. if you get an antenna kit from http://www.alfenterprises.com it will have the coax/antenna/mount all together. the mount they include will mount to the roof rack of your libby nicely.

Quote from "DrJ"

I bought a hand held CB, but it didn't work inside the KJ because of the metal roof (by the way...who bought that from me? Did you get it to work?), bought another as a kit with a magnetic mount antenna, it works great. I keep it in the armrest until trail rides come along. If I had it to do over, I'd get one like Quadna's, all the controls are in the mic, and the box is hidden out of site. Ebay is the place if you got the time.

DrJ

yeah, what he said :)

Quote from "DEJeepman"

Chris:

I just put a CB in the XJ a couple of weeks ago. If you could show me how too tune it that would be great.

i'll be at my house all day today putting a cb in Icky's jeep - feel free to stop by and we can mess with yours as well or just spread a little knowledge around.

Quote from "matty427"

Yeah Chris, thanks, that would be great if you could bring it. What exactly does it do. I am completely clueless to the world of cb radios. Im heading over to Radio Shack tomorrow after work to pick up the radio and antenna and hoping i can get it installed for this weekend. Thanks Again,
    Matt

same applies - come on over if you get a chance. route 8 west of dover (2 miles)...first driveway on the right after the forrest avenue animal hospital. if you pass byler's market you went 100 yards too far :)
    chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!