Gas leak question

• Got home from work and noticed a gas smell. Took a close look and saw "staining" that was still wet from gas on the passenger side bumper (remember fill side is drivers side) and saw a drip or three in the driveway. I pulled out the plastic piece from under the wheel wheel but didn't notice anything obvious but could smell a stroonger sent of gas. Does the gas line go that way? Confussed due to this being away from the tank itself so I don't think it is a tank issue :shrug: Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• all the fuel lines should run on the driver side frame rail
    so if it is leaking on the passenger side
    u might have a hole in the tank

need to find someone with a smoker tell tell for sure
    ill look at the parts listing i have to see if that helps any

• What about the return lines? Which side do they run on a TJ? A CJ has the fuel line up one side and the return and vent lines down the other.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John, it is a YJ and the tank leak, if it is, the gas is taking a strange path since the bumper is above the tank (at least above the bottom of it)...

• check to see if there is an emergency vent line on the pass side. it would be a metal line with rubber cover over the end.

This can happen if you have a blockage in the vent line or the charcoal canister goes bad.

What is happening is the expansion of the gas when it warms up causes the tank to become pressurized and forces the gas out of the vent line.

open the gas cap and let us know if there is a stong pressure release when you open it (air rushing out, suggest not smoking while doing this)

edit changed metal cap to metal line....sorry

• Thanks guys...I'll have to check it out in the daylight.

• Daylight check...started her this morning to warm up (still in darkness) and checked it a bit when I got to work. No sign of leak...I'll have to do a more detailed check when I can craw around under her. Maybe she is mad that I don't drive her much!

• If it's what Pat88ramcharger suggested, the tank my have not pressurized at the time you checked it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• have you ever replaced the filler neck hose and vent hose? if your jeep has some years on it your hoses are prob cracked. easy repair. pull the bezel out and you can get to everything.

• My 88 had a bad filler neck hose. really confusing till we figured it out. well mopartech found and fixed it with a marine grade hose. good luck

• the thing on the pass side is the roll over valve. seems you have figured that out. if you think that it is only doinging after its pressureinzed take the cap of after you notice the leak and see if you hear it depressureize. use caution if it is under pressure it could blow.... probbaly will have to drop the tank and change all the rubber lines.

• hey is it a plastic tank!? cuse if it is there is a small vent line on the pass side, but I had an issue where the sender was leaking... there is a rubber gasket that the send bolts though... and how the plastic tank is molded it has a channel that runs over to the passenger vent... it may be running that way then down on to your bumper.... make a couple of hard courners.. then you should know right away... I have a spare gasket if you need it...... MIke

• It is the stock metal tank. I will really get into after this week since the wifes vehicle is in the body shop, I have to drive it...good thing I am only a couple miles from work. Thnaks for all the help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!