lift is here... wrenching STILL continues.... Problems (GRRRRR!!!)

• damn you woman, why the 6th? i have a wedding to attend that date. do it sunday or any other weekend. krissy has her bar review course starting next weekend so i will be finding myself with a few free weekends.

• I'd help out, however....that weekend coincides with wrenching on Steve's Jeep.

Where/who's place are you doing the lift at?
    Inside? outside?
    I though you were in the Newark area.

• It was just an initial thought... I honestly wont be tearing it apart until Sunday or later. I still haven't gotten the lift in the mail yet and will have to paint parts when it gets in. Plus I need to get a front axle from Meeper and fix it up a little... there are gatherings jan 13 and 20 that i was hoping to go to... so I was just trying to get ahead of the game.

I was going to post when I had a better idea of when I was going to start the actual lift install.

Here is a list of stuff I need to do/install:

AtoZ rocker guards
    KC offroad lights
    fuel pressure regulator/filter
    finish preping rear axle (new gasket and fluid)
    buy and prep front axle (ball joints/spider gears)
    SYE and CV shaft (I decided not to wait till next year bc the tcase drop wont work with my engine skid :bang:)
    RE lift (paint all components)
    RE lift install (including front/back track bars, front/back upper/lower control arms, coils, shocks, brake lines....)
    Rear bumper/Swing arm (not ordered yet)

I think that covers it... I am out of breathe from all of that writting.

I think the hardest thing for me to do will be putting in the SYE and CV since I havent done or seen that done yet.

• fuel pressure regulator/filter

I think the hardest thing for me to do will be putting in the SYE and CV since I havent done or seen that done yet.

why r u installing the regulator and filter ?

the sye isnt too bad
    however u could always someone pizza and beer to get it done
    they arent too hard to do

• I will help out when I can, as needed.

Where do you plan on doing this?
    I suppose you have a place lined up, inside preferably, so weather will not interfer.

also...do you have all the necessary tools?

• why r u installing the regulator and filter ?

the sye isnt too bad
    however u could always someone pizza and beer to get it done
    they arent too hard to do

haha i think there will be pizza and beer whether or not people show up.. :spinrhead:

I am going to put in a new fuel pressure reg/filter because after i have been running a while and restart the hot engine I hesitate when first starting out... All i have to do is let up on the throttle and give it gas again and the hesitation stops. I have already replaced the spark plugs and that wasnt it... I also put some STP in the tank and after running it for a while it stopped. I am hoping that this will fix it.

• Have you tried your TPS? Mine went in my TJ and it did the same thing as yours is (hesitation). Last time I used fuel additive, it blew out my fuel injectors. Cost me almost $1000 to correct all the damage that crap caused. Never again!

Good luck with the lift though. :D

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Have you tried your TPS? Mine went in my TJ and it did the same thing as yours is (hesitation). Last time I used fuel additive, it blew out my fuel injectors. Cost me almost $1000 to correct all the damage that crap caused. Never again!

Good luck with the lift though. :D

it only happens once when I first start up then its ok and no check engine light. is there a way to diagnose the problem?

• process of elimanation really if there is no light on
    have u tried plugs , wires and the like ?

i replaced the plugs wires and dist cap.... all of it and it didnt do a :censored: thang

it only hesitates sometimes on the first time you give it gas in gear when its hot... its does this on and off, a lot more recently

• it only happens once when I first start up then its ok and no check engine light. is there a way to diagnose the problem?

When mine died, no check engine light came on. It was so bad that I had to get it towed to the shop. They didn't think anything was wrong with it because of the no check engine light and they had gotten it started fine (with a little bit of gas pedal action). They had to call me to ask me what the heck it was doing. They figured it could be the TPS (not sure if they tested it or anything) so they pulled it. It was pretty melted. Apparently it's very easy to pull. They replaced it for free for me for that reason. I'm sure you could check it yourself, you'll know if it's going on you or not by looking at it unless it's an internal defect.

I started noticing it when I ran the 1/4 mi. at Wharton and was having a really hard time getting the Jeep to go. Once I was out of the mud it was fine so I didn't really think much of it. The Jeep made it all the way home and on a few other trips. I parked it over night (by then I realized it was having some issues) and that was that, had to call the tow truck the next morning.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• where is the TPS located and I can take a look at the condition..

the FPR is 50$ and the TPS is 65$, so i definately want to try to nail this once considering all the money i am spending on the lift now.

• When taking apart the transfer case make sure you get a good pair of snap ring pliers. The kind that are made for the angled snap rings.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Not sure if you tried yet, but You may want to try pulling off your the air intake tube and cleaning the throttle body. Mine occasionally gets a buildup and starts to stick and run funny. Get some Carburetor cleaner a rag and maybe and old toothbrush and scrub the crap out of it. Might be hard to start immediately afterward cause its loaded up the carb cleaner but it will eventually start right up.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• If you pull the TPS and it shows no obvious defect it could still be bad. Good way to check sensors without paying a ton to replace and still having a problem is to check the resistance across them. Find out the acceptable resistance range for a new sensor (generally published by manufacturer), get your sensor to whatever temperature that resistance was measured at, then measure the resistance across it.

Sorry if this is redundant but I would not be happy if I dropped $65 for a new sensor and still had the same problem. Good luck!

• I am going to start wrenching this saturday 1/13 in the morning. :spinrhead: :roll: :rollsmile:

I will be in my grandfathers airplane hanger (on his property) about 8AM. He lives by the 301/896 split in middletown. He has a lot of tools. I am hoping I have everything I need.

If anyone is interesting in hangin out PM me.

Pizza and Beer.

Obviously I will be stopping in time to make the trip back north to catch the EAGLES game. Then work should continue Sunday.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!